PDA

View Full Version : Black Panther's in MS?

gonefishin
06-06-2007, 10:57 PM
For years I have heard people talk about black panther sightings in MS. I personally have never seen one, but I do remember seeing a very large cat that had a blonde coat and a long tail as a young boy. It was much bigger than a bobcat and looked nothing like one. My father and I both saw it, so he can verify how big it was and that it was definately not a bobcat. Never have seen anything like it since. Has anyone here seen what they believed to be a black panther or some other cat not native to this area?

Fish-Bait
06-06-2007, 11:05 PM
For years I have heard people talk about black panther sightings in MS. I personally have never seen one, but I do remember seeing a very large cat that had a blonde coat and a long tail as a young boy. It was much bigger than a bobcat and looked nothing like one. My father and I both saw it, so he can verify how big it was and that it was definately not a bobcat. Never have seen anything like it since. Has anyone here seen what they believed to be a black panther or some other cat not native to this area?
Regardless of what people say I have never seen a black panther. There is some video of what somebody believes to be a black panther down in Florida(dont know where to find it). There are panthers here. Cougars is what they really are I believe. They are usually spotted in the same places every year when they go back to their "breeding" raisin' litter grounds. I have only laid my eyes on one and that was out in Melba, on the Jefferson Davis Lamar County line about 10 years ago at about 6 in the morning...Those things can move buddy...

pinkytuscadero
06-06-2007, 11:12 PM
I absolutely believe there are panthers in MS, although "experts" say that the Florida panther no longer lives here.

My Mom, as few as two years ago, witnessed the same type cat you described walking along the edge of the tree line at her farm. My Grandma and one of my children were outside as well so I had a keen interest.

My Grandma told me of the noises she had been hearing at night so I played some of the noises from the Florida Panther website. She said it was exactly what she had heard. http://myfwc.com/panther/games/cinema/index.html#video Play some of the caterwauling links to hear their noise.

My ole' Granny used to call the panther a woosmuspoose. :)

Pinky

daisy
06-06-2007, 11:17 PM
I saw a panther ( not a black one and not a cougar or mountain lion) tannish, more brown. on that road from Morgantown to White Castle or Crossing or some little community. Morgantown is out from Foxworth and Columbia.

I was alone and it was October about 10 a.m. moving from the Pearl River side to the woods.

It was long,lean and slinking to the ground and croosed in front of me. No, I didn't have a camera or a video and wouldn't have had time for it anyway.

Some chicken farmer I mentioned it to said the cats often follow the river and are looking for food around then.

I have seen cougars and this was not one.

My grandmother who lived and grew up down in Jackson County has seen them close to her house and said growing up they would hear them a lot and they sounded like a woman. Mother also heard them and said they would follow the rivers.They grew up close to Red Creek, Black Creek and all that is near Leaf River and all close to Pascagoula River. Oh, and let us not forget Bluff Creek 12-15 miles down the Hwy.

I met a lady down around Cheraw below Columbia that saw a black panther staying around their area.

pEtAl mIsFiT
06-06-2007, 11:19 PM
ok call me crazy but we went to my moms house one nite to pick up my daughter but they had not made it in from church so my husband and I sit outside and a few moments went by when we heard this horrible sound like a lady screaming, it gave me and my hub the chills we ran so fast to get back into the auto shut the doors and locked them as if it could open the doors ha ha...
told me dad about it when he got home and he laughed... so call me crazy........

but I will never ever forget the sound whatever that was made!

Maggie-Doodle
06-07-2007, 12:45 AM
When I was little, my granny lived out in BFE in PR County....we saw several of the same type cats along the wood line...and the scariest of screams...like someone said...it would sound like a woman screaming...it would scare the **it out of everyone...my granny would never let us go out late at nite...she had an outhouse...if we had to go after dark we had to go in what she called a "slop bucket." The bucket was covered with a lid and the "deposit" was taken to the outhouse the next morning and dumped...the pot was washed and put aside for the next night! Boy, what a life! :) Thank God for modern plumbing!

Engelbert Humperdinck
06-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Black panthers are everywhere...
http://socialjustice.ccnmtl.columbia.edu/images/9/99/Hueybobby.jpg

firefly
06-07-2007, 12:55 AM
I don't know if there are any black panthers around now, but 30 years ago there was! MY X IN Laws lived in Lamar county in a community called Talowah. One night when the X & I were over there, we saw a black panther come flying out from under their house! Scared me to death! When the thing took off into the woods, it let out a scream that souned like a woman being killed! Creepy!:smt118

Maggie-Doodle
06-07-2007, 01:09 AM
I don't know if there are any black panthers around now, but 30 years ago there was! MY X IN Laws lived in Lamar county in a community called Talowah. One night when the X & I were over there, we saw a black panther come flying out from under their house! Scared me to death! Whe the thing took off into the woods, it let out a scream that souned like a woman being killed! Creepy!:smt118

YEP, my dad used to work for Southern RR...when his crew was working on the tracks they would usually either stay around the Okahola area north of Purvis or near Talowah south of Purvis...he told me several times he saw the black panthers running along the tracks, especially late evening, sometimes early morning...he said they had funny looking eyes...almost had a yellow tinge of color to them. He said they were creepy looking and he again said about the "scream" they would let out.

According to him and others the panther and the bobcat sound alot alike when they scream but they do look different.

58ford
06-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Back in the early 80s a family friend who owned a construction co. got a call that there was a panther on his construction site. He found his workers would not go into one of the homes. He went inside & shot it with .38 revolver he had in his glove box.
I myself saw one near the Pearl river early one morning. We had listened to it scream all night long. I've never seen a black one, but the tan ones are definitely here.

MDollfus46
06-07-2007, 11:44 AM

Sightings? I went to college with 'um backin the 60's.

bpitt
06-07-2007, 11:53 AM
I've seen a brown one on Sims Bridge Rd late one night. That was about 15 years ago.
I don't think black ones exist, why hasn't some drunk redneck already shot one and made front page? A local rock radio station is offering a reward for any black panther brought it, dead or alive.
How come noone has gotten pictures of one on their game camera, those things are hanging on just about every tree in the woods. heck, i got one up behind the house, no black panther seen yet.

bpitt
06-07-2007, 11:54 AM
There was also reference made to one on the Stennis Space Center website a couple of years ago. There is a link on the site about wildlife/nature, etc. They mention how one was seen in their buffer zone somewhere.

bpitt
06-07-2007, 12:01 PM
http://www.ssc.nasa.gov/environmental/resource_mngmnt/natural_resources/wildlife/wildlife.html
Read the last sentence. Also, click on the Pest/Animal Control link at the top of the article, they tell them what to do when a bear/panther is sited, etc.

big john
06-07-2007, 12:48 PM
I heard the easter bunny and santa had some trouble with black panthers in these parts back in 62.

bpitt
06-07-2007, 12:55 PM
You ever heard a screech owl, that sound like that a lot. A neighbor trapped a cat about 12 years ago off Herb Anderson RD, it was a cross between a housecat and a bobcat best we could figure, fits the description you give.

06-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Black panthers are everywhere...
http://socialjustice.ccnmtl.columbia.edu/images/9/99/Hueybobby.jpg

That's what I thought this thread was about when I saw the title!

EricStratton
06-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I've seen Rev. Fairley many times....does that count....he screams like a woman when he don't get his way...much like the elusive panther....

Fish-Bait
06-07-2007, 02:41 PM
ES what happened to your vcash?

EricStratton
06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
ES what happened to your vcash?

I spent it all on MH prostitutes and MH blow for my birthday!

Fish-Bait
06-07-2007, 02:58 PM
I spent it all on MH prostitutes and MH blow for my birthday!
Sounds like you shoulda' went fishin' instead!:smt018

EricStratton
06-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Sounds like you shoulda' went fishin' instead!:smt018

No...I don't like to fish on my birthday...

Fish-Bait
06-07-2007, 03:02 PM
No...I don't like to fish on my birthday...
And now you are broke!!!:-D

EricStratton
06-07-2007, 03:05 PM
ES, if I remember correctly, all you have to do is bet on something in the vbookie and it will realize you have no money and automatically give you $100,000 to bet with. I'll try to find the thread on this. No one needs to be broke on here.

Before you go to all that trouble, QM, I actually bet my 100K on the Spurs game tonight....so I haven't lost it....yet....Just going all in for my birthday....

gonefishin
06-07-2007, 04:26 PM
How come noone has gotten pictures of one on their game camera, those things are hanging on just about every tree in the woods. heck, i got one up behind the house, no black panther seen yet.
A guy showed me a game camera photo from last season with a black cat on it. He swore that it was a panther. It was hard to tell in the photo since it was poor quality but it looked alot like a black domesticated cat except that it was larger, had a longer tail and a huge head.

Guru
06-07-2007, 10:06 PM

* To be accurate, they are native to this area. Cougars range from Florida to Texas and up into Tennesee and Arkansas. I thought it was all bs until I saw one but this took me until I was 37 years old. I saw one in the Leaf River flats between Hebron and Hot Coffee. My Mother said she saw one 3 weeks ago. The one that I saw was rust colored, the one my Mother saw was more of the tan color.

daisy
06-07-2007, 11:33 PM
* To be accurate, they are native to this area. Cougars range from Florida to Texas and up into Tennesee and Arkansas. I thought it was all bs until I saw one but this took me until I was 37 years old. I saw one in the Leaf River flats between Hebron and Hot Coffee. My Mother said she saw one 3 weeks ago. The one that I saw was rust colored, the one my Mother saw was more of the tan color.

Guru, when you say cougar, do you mean mountain lion? The one I saw was brownish tan and was shaped longer and leaner than a mountain lion. ?????/

daisy
06-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Here is a site of some black and blue panthers in a coastal state:

http://www.panthers.com/cheerleaders/Default.aspx?id=1752

bpitt
06-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Guru, when you say cougar, do you mean mountain lion? The one I saw was brownish tan and was shaped longer and leaner than a mountain lion. ?????/
Cougar, mountain lion, puma, panther, catamount are ALL the same animal! Gee, didn't ya'll watch Mutual Of Omaha's Wild America growing up?

MDollfus46
06-08-2007, 02:32 PM
I use to camp in the winter for weeks at a time way south of Fairley Bridge on Black Creek. Man, we'd hear cat screams sometimes at night that would make you stoke up the fire and sleep light. My cur squirrel dog's hair would stand up on his back but he wouldn't venture out from the camp one night when the screams were very close.

At that point there'd be no "we". My A-- would be gone. Poof!

Ted
06-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Cougar, mountain lion, puma, panther, catamount are ALL the same animal! Gee, didn't ya'll watch Mutual Of Omaha's Wild America growing up?True.:)
Well - 'panther' is kinda a misnomer.
Panthers include old world lions, tigers, leopards and the large cats in South America, Jaguars - the big cats that roar.
Our indigenous large cat is Puma concolor.
Even the 'Florida panther' is the same.
Mitochondrial DNA studies have shown that all the former subspecies, like the Florida Panther, to be so closely related that they are no longer considered taxonomically valid.
Despite all of the anecdotal reports of 'black panthers', no melanistic specimen of Puma concolor has ever been substantiated, based on road kills, captured and harvested specimens, and well documented observations.
I think it's most likely that it's a case of 'all cats look black at night'.
I suspect that the refractive and reflective properties of their fur is such that light isn't reflected very well - which makes sense for a nocturnal predator.:)

bpitt
06-09-2007, 02:55 PM
What are you? A freakin' zoologist?

Ted
06-09-2007, 04:51 PM
What are you? A freakin' zoologist?;)

Guru
06-09-2007, 11:51 PM

* Cougars, Panthers, Mountain Lions ... from what I have read and some of those Mutual Of Omaha programs (heh) it said they were all the same thing or at least cousins.

KingMaker
06-12-2007, 01:06 PM
I don't believe there are black panthers in Mississippi. I don't believe there are black panthers anywhere. What most people call a "black panther" is an albino leopard, which turns solid black instead of white. Those cats, live in Africa, not North America, not even in Perry County (we do have a few black bears). The panthers that lived in Mississippi at one time are the same breed as the Florida Panther, or cougar.

Now, I have seen a black coyote run across the highway in front of me a couple of times. That could easily be mistaken for something else if folks really want to believe.

bpitt
06-12-2007, 01:53 PM
I was performing a study several years back (like eight years ago) of the feral pig population that had moved into the Leaf River Game Management Area outside of Janice. There were a couple of grad students from MSU who were conducting a poult count of turkeys.

The would put corn out and set a camera up to photo the baby turkeys so they could get a good count. Found out a black bear was eating their bait.

They called some woman from Jackson, I think she works at the natural science museum, not sure though, anyway, the game warden admitted at that point that the state had released some black bears down on the Red Creek Game Management Area and some had migrated to Leaf River Game Management Area, they had tracked them with radio collars. I bluntly told him that the local rednecks might shoot them, he said it was a gamble.

pinkytuscadero
12-23-2007, 09:12 PM
http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071223/NEWS01/312230007

Black Panther myth: Can it be real?
By Lici Beveridge
Online editor

Since I moved to the Pine Belt four years ago, I have heard about the mythical black panther that roams the woods here.

The solitary creature is as elusive as the abominable snowman, and local outdoors experts tell me this panther doesn't exist. But they always say it with a question mark "Well, I doubt it. I've never seen it, but . . ."

Now one Pine Belt resident claims to have proof really a photo even of the legendary black panther.

I'd like to believe it's for real, but I have my doubts.

What do you think? Take a look at the photo at www.outdooramerican.com (http://www.outdooramerican.com/).

amanda
12-23-2007, 09:15 PM
http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071223/NEWS01/312230007

Black Panther myth: Can it be real?
By Lici Beveridge
Online editor

Since I moved to the Pine Belt four years ago, I have heard about the mythical black panther that roams the woods here.

The solitary creature is as elusive as the abominable snowman, and local outdoors experts tell me this panther doesn't exist. But they always say it with a question mark "Well, I doubt it. I've never seen it, but . . ."

Now one Pine Belt resident claims to have proof really a photo even of the legendary black panther.

I'd like to believe it's for real, but I have my doubts.

What do you think? Take a look at the photo at www.outdooramerican.com (http://www.outdooramerican.com/).

I saw one in Marion County about a year ago. I have no doubt that is what it was and have others talk about seeing them in the area. Unfortunately I don't keep a camera attached to my eye because it was one beautiful animal.

firefly
12-23-2007, 11:39 PM
I am telling you that the creature that shot out from under my X MiL's house was coal black & had yellowish green eyes!!! The blood curdling scream that eminated from that thing sounded like a woman being skinned alive!:smt118

Honey
12-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't want to know these things. I scared enough as it is.

MDollfus46
12-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I am telling you that the creature that shot out from under my X MiL's house was coal black & had yellowish green eyes!!! The blood curdling scream that eminated from that thing sounded like a woman being skinned alive!:smt118

Sounds a lot like my ex.

MDollfus46
12-23-2007, 11:43 PM

Is this about animals or the political activist group from the 70's?

fuzzis
12-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Sounds a lot like my ex.

Then you must not have been doing it right. :smt118

MDollfus46
12-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Then you must not have been doing it right. :smt118
I don't care who you are, THAT'S FUNNY right there!- Larry :clap:

firefly
12-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Is this about animals or the political activist group from the 70's? I don't know about everybody that's posted on this thread, but for me it was an animal. What was so unerving about it was we were sitting on the back steps & that thing just shot out from under the house practically right under our feet!:smt103

Butterball
12-24-2007, 09:06 AM
I went to the beginning of this thread and read through all the posts. I had already checked out the HA article.........

I know that the MSDWFP doesn't 'recognize' such an animal in MS, but, by whatever name, they are here. Not many, mind you, but here and in numbers much greater than bears.

I've personally seen two black 'cats' in the 60 pound range. One 'trailed' me out of the woods one day to the edge of a field and sat on the wood line watching me walk away. (I did have a shotgun and looked back often until it went back in the woods). I have at least five friends that have seen one or more of these animals - in brown, black, tawny color - all in the 40 to 75 pound range. I had always heard of it referred to as a Florida Panther but it is supposedly the same animal as a western mountain lion although not nearly as large in this range (just like whitetail deer are much bigger on other ranges than south MS). I've heard bobcats scream and the big cat scream --- big difference. The 'panther' literally made all the hair on my neck stand up and I immediately moved inside a building.

For several years in the 80's and early 90's, members of my family viewed one of these black cats on our family farm in Marion County. We decided to name the farm Panther Ridge Farm and I think it was quite appropriate.

Each time I visit the 'farm' I remember my encounters with this 'mythical' animal and know that it truly does exist in our neck of the woods. I was glad to see the trail cam photo :).

12-24-2007, 09:38 AM
I've never seen one, but have always heard these stories.

12-24-2007, 09:41 AM
The pic in that article is kinda crappy, but I'll take your word for it. I've heard enough people say they've seen these things.

CircusRide
12-24-2007, 11:17 AM
I didn't mean to break up your Black Panther party.

Remington
12-24-2007, 02:01 PM
This ticks me off. I think everybody in MH has seen a panther but me!!

fuzzis
12-24-2007, 02:04 PM

I haven't seen a panther...in the wild...either. :smt086

Remington
12-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Well, Fuzzis, let's get together and cry on each other's shoulder!

No-Halo
12-24-2007, 02:17 PM
As much as I ride the country roads in Forrest County I've never seen one either Remington, I've seen just about everything else though. :smt023

MDollfus46
12-24-2007, 03:14 PM
I don't know about everybody that's posted on this thread, but for me it was an animal. What was so unerving about it was we were sitting on the back steps & that thing just shot out from under the house practically right under our feet!:smt103
That'll cure a case of constipation.:smt023

big john
12-24-2007, 04:13 PM
don't the mississippi baboons keep all the panthers run off?

big john
12-24-2007, 04:17 PM
What's really scary are those danged alabama rhino's and those box jellyfish on the coast,them tenn. giraffe's is kooky too.

gonefishin
01-25-2008, 10:19 AM
When I started this thread the only evidence I had ever seen of a big cat in MS was when I was a child. The cat wasn't black but brown and very large. It was seen in a rural area of Stone County. In December of 2007 my father called me one morning obiously disturbed about something. He told me that he got in his hunting stand around 4:30 that morning and was sitting there waiting for a little daylight. Obviously everything was silent during that hour. All of a sudden something let out a terrible scream about 50 yards from him down at the creek. At first he wasn't sure what the noise was but he said that it literally scared him. Then the noise came again and he said that he thought someone was possibly being assaulted on the road close to him. After hearing the noise a few times more he figured that it had to be the same screaming people claim panthers make. The animal making the noise was moving fast and was definitely on the ground according to him. That night we had a family gathering at my Dad's house. Around 9:00 I went outside to get something from the garage. As I was walking out there I heard something scream from the woods. At first I wasn't sure what I had heard, but then the scream came again. I must say that this was one of the most disturbing things I have ever heard in my life. The screaming continued as the animal moved swiftly along the ridge behind the house. I could even hear the animal walking as it screamed. I ran inside and got everyone to come out and witness what I had heard. Everyone else came out and heard the animal screaming as it continued moving away from us. I can't swear that this was a cat because I didn't see it but I can say that in all my years of outdoor activities I have never heard anything like it. The screaming gave me chills all over. Whatever it was was swift and intimidating with all that screaming.

Fish-Bait
01-25-2008, 10:24 AM
If you will go up to A and R (the feed store/co-op) on the bypass and walk up to the register there are two pics of a mountain' lion/panther posted up on a board there. They are "local" pics when I say local, I mean within' a 15 mile radius of the co-op. I ain't tellin' where it was, but I know where it was..........it's a big dam cat too.

ERTgrenadier
01-26-2008, 12:55 PM
My uncle was on his way to work in Leaksville, and he said he saw a panther (not black, tan.) just strolling down the highway. I believe they are here, though I'm not so sure about the black panthers. Doubtful, in my opinion.

big john
01-26-2008, 02:29 PM
http://www.cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-report/no-panthers-in-ms/

So when investigators look into reports of black panthers that stand about 6 inches tall, "those are kitty cats," Castle said.

big john
01-26-2008, 02:35 PM
This kitty cat is very mean.
http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/72/17/23511772.jpg

BayFly
01-26-2008, 02:39 PM
I have seen a couple times a cat looking creature really dark fur and run like a cat but never seen it close enough to be sure, I don't know about anybody else but my eyes will play tricks on me in lowlight conditioins and I can't say for sure what it was. Ms. Game and Fish would like a plaster cast of pawprints if somebody sees one in an area that a print is left.

EricStratton
10-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Here you go, pinky!

pinkytuscadero
10-12-2008, 12:44 AM
This thread has some of my favorite Big John material on it!

EricStratton
10-12-2008, 12:46 AM
This thread has some of my favorite Big John material on it!

Yeah....I was just reading through those....that man is funny! I wish he'd do another youtube video!