PDA

View Full Version : City of Petal Jail Docket

Mslady
12-30-2007, 11:49 AM
I was just reading over this the other day and a thought hit me. (I do have these occasionally) Why do they call it the City of Petal Jail Docket when most of the offenses listed are for traffic infractions?
They are not going to jail..just pay a fine.

Honey
12-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Is that like in the paper? I would be so embarrassed if my name was printed in the paper about going to jail. I would move to another town.

Petal4Life
12-30-2007, 11:55 AM
What I find more questionable is the fact that they post the charges before the person charged is actually convicted. I find this to impose on a persons rights. For example: I was listed in there...

Mslady
12-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Is that like in the paper? I would be so embarrassed if my name was printed in the paper about going to jail. I would move to another town.

It is published weekly in The Petal News!

Mslady
12-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Petal4Life I understand how you feel. My son was given a courtesy ticket for a headlight not working. He did not know that it wasn't working. Imagine his surprise when his name appeared in the paper...

Scarlett O'Hara
12-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Petal Headlines.................."Honey Pulled Over For DUI"

Honey
12-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Can you imagine? Me drinking.

pinkytuscadero
12-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Do they still do this in the Advertiser News? I think this used to be the only reason it was picked up unless someone wanted a puppy.:smt105

Pinky

Mslady
12-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Do they still do this in the Advertiser News? I think this used to be the only reason it was picked up unless someone wanted a puppy.:smt105

Pinky
I haven't seen it in the Advertiser,it comes with our Petal news, but I have seen a docket in the Impact.
Maybe they should rename it to:Traffic Violations & Arrest Docket!

pinkytuscadero
12-30-2007, 12:12 PM
I haven't seen it in the Advertiser,it comes with our Petal news, but I have seen a docket in the Impact.
Maybe they should rename it to:Taffic Violations & Arrest Docket!

You're right, it is the Impact. I haven't picked it up in a while. :kekeke:

Pinky

mspolitics82
12-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Maybe they should rename it to:Traffic Violations & Arrest Docket!

Or maybe the Petal News should get a life....why do they feel the NEED to publish such information? Are they really that HARD UP for news to fill the space? Human error often appears in such publications. For instance, a good friend of mine has a son whose name appeared in the paper in the arrest docket for "failure to appear"---he had received a speeding ticket.
The son did NOT fail to appear, because the court date was actually a week AFTER the newspaper printed the notice....the error was in the recording of the information at the city court clerk's office AND because someone with the newspaper "messed up" by not asking for clarification (it's a really long, detailed story, but that's it in a nutshell).

Point being----who cares? It's just an impetus for communtiy "gossip groups" to carry on their favorite activities----talking about the woes of others.

virgo
12-30-2007, 12:54 PM
The last time I checked, all of Petal's other criminals are sent to Forrest County Jail....unless the person really pisses off the officer, then he or she could be taken to Forrest County Jail (or...

Bahlk
12-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately a traffic citationn is an Arrest. All arrests can be printed in the paper as a matter of public record.

IGID
12-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately a traffic citationn is an Arrest. All arrests can be printed in the paper as a matter of public record.You beat me to it. All infractions of any kind are arrestable offenses. A ticket is a courtesy from the Officer. He can arrest you, tow your car, and make you post a bond for anything he can pull you over for. Even improper equipment, say a tag light being out.

No-Halo
12-30-2007, 01:40 PM
You beat me to it. All infractions of any kind are arrestable offenses. A ticket is a courtesy from the Officer. He can arrest you, tow your car, and make you post a bond for anything he can pull you over for. Even improper equipment, say a tag light being out.
Theres a blatant offender over in H'burg I've got my sights set on. :smt118

luvnlife
12-30-2007, 02:02 PM
:ohnoes:uh oh......I better start watching my rear view mirror!:-D

Mslady
12-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Unfortunately a traffic citationn is an Arrest. All arrests can be printed in the paper as a matter of public record.

So if I get a ticket for a headlight that is out, I then have a record?
That doesn't seem right!

Mslady
12-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Or maybe the Petal News should get a life....why do they feel the NEED to publish such information? Are they really that HARD UP for news to fill the space? Human error often appears in such publications. For instance, a good friend of mine has a son whose name appeared in the paper in the arrest docket for "failure to appear"---he had received a speeding ticket.
The son did NOT fail to appear, because the court date was actually a week AFTER the newspaper printed the notice....the error was in the recording of the information at the city court clerk's office AND because someone with the newspaper "messed up" by not asking for clarification (it's a really long, detailed story, but that's it in a nutshell).

Point being----who cares? It's just an impetus for communtiy "gossip groups" to carry on their favorite activities----talking about the woes of others.

I can actually see how printing names in the paper could be a deterrant to breaking the law.

Honey
12-30-2007, 03:23 PM
I may be slow but I think there is something up with this tag light out thing. I heard another MH friend say something about that before. Hmmmmm. Let me investigate further.

Bahlk
12-30-2007, 03:26 PM
If you get a ticket for improper equipment you have broken the law by having improper equipment on your vehicle. Now we arent talking felonies here but it is a law to have working headlights on your...

Fire Extinguisher
12-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Petal Journal?

I am so glad they finally quit putting that in my mail box. It took over a year to get them to stop. Never asked for it, never wanted it, yet they billed me for it. Week old news is worthless.

Mslady
12-30-2007, 03:39 PM
I am not saying that one shouldn't get a citation. I am saying that it doesn't seem right that it is considered an arrest. My original post was about the title of the names listed in the Petal News...

Maggie-Doodle
12-30-2007, 03:44 PM
So if I get a ticket for a headlight that is out, I then have a record?
That doesn't seem right!

YES, If you have to have a criminal history check it will show up...but they can only list it IF it has a disposition. Some places that request a c. hist. check ONLY ask for felonies or assault type violations..anything given out on a c.h. check HAS to have a disposition or it can't be listed.

58ford
12-30-2007, 03:47 PM
For some of us it's the only way we're ever gonna get our name in the paper.

Scarlett O'Hara
12-30-2007, 05:36 PM
15 minutes of fame!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Petal4Life
12-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Bahlk,

I understand that an officer can arrest you instead of writing a ticket; however, in my case my license had been reinstated several months before I was pulled over. The state simply had not processed the paperwork. Therefore, I should have NEVER received the ticket. As for the improper passing, I passed the mailman who was delivering mail and was told since it could have moved in a forward motion I could not pass him. However, the judge determined that to be false. Therefore, I should not have received that ticket either. I personally think the cop was having a bad day. I can see printing the information AFTER a person is found guilty, pleads guilty, or is convicted. People are considered innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent.

mspolitics82
12-30-2007, 06:18 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with you here. Arrest dockets are public information. If you take away that, how would anyone ever know that Johnny Dupree's relative was arrested? Or if a city council member was cited for driving without a license?

I can tell you that there are a lot of people who pick up the newspaper just to read who was arrested (just like the people who pick up the morning paper to read the obits or the marriage licenses/divorces). People are nosy. They want to know what is going on. Many people may not want to admit it, but the jail docket is probably the first or second thing they look for.

Oh, I agree with you 100%, there are indeed people...probably lots of them....who read the jail docket first, or at least habitually; and I truly recognize that arrest dockets are public information...that is why I wrote "Publications" the way I did...BUT, if they were to print everything under the sun that is public information, there would probably be very little room in the newspaper for anything else. I do believe that if something newsworthy was in the arrest docket, most of the time---surely not all of the time, though----the same newspaper people who go get the info for their Jail Docket section, would more than likely make headlines of whatever they wanted to. I just think there are too many times when the information is NOT correct as it appears in the newspaper, and sometimes makes wrong accusations, and the PUBLIC (the reader) does not have any way to know that an error has been made. I think you basically proved my point that it is a source of information for nosey people...not necessarily newsworthy info. If I am truly nosey enough, then all I have to do is go to the city court once a week or once a month and review the PUBLIC INFORMATION myself. Besides, I don't think that many people would cancel their subscription if the jail docket were suddenly omitted from weekly printing. Knowing who has died (obituary) so I can pay my last respects, write a note to the family, make a phone call, take some food, etc. is QUITE DIFFERENT (so is marriage licenses) than knowing who has gotten a traffic ticket, etc.

MDollfus46
12-30-2007, 06:24 PM
People are considered innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent.
Pie in the sky. The media tries people before they ever get to a court room. We declare them innocent or guilty before they ever get before a judge. Even if they do, we call BS on the jury who sat through the entire trial. We are a society of hypocrites when it comes to "innocent until proven guilty." Heck they don't even need to be "proven" guilty. Circumstantial evidence and crooked DA's have found many an innocent man guilty. Pardon my pun, but I have nothing but contempt for our justice system.

ComputerDude
12-30-2007, 10:24 PM
The last time I checked, all of Petal's other criminals are sent to Forrest County Jail....unless the person really pisses off the officer, then he or she could be taken to Forrest County Jail (or unless it is a DUI). OTherwise, many times the officer in Petal will let them bail out at the Petal PD. I could be wrong, but that would explain why there are only traffic offenses on the docket.

Unfortunately, as soon as the officer writes a ticket or arrests someone, it becomes public record.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. Arrest dockets are public information. If you take away that, how would anyone ever know that Johnny Dupree's relative was arrested? Or if a city council member was cited for driving without a license?
Why do you feel like you need to know these things? Good people make mistakes all the time. That doesn't mean they need to be printed in the newspaper. I couldn't care less about Johnny Dupree's relative being arrested, or a city counsel member driving without a license? What does me knowing that to do to my every day life.
It's nothing more then gossip, not necessary at ALL.

lwood
12-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Petal4Life I understand how you feel. My son was given a courtesy ticket for a headlight not working. He did not know that it wasn't working. Imagine his surprise when his name appeared in the paper for improper equipment But don't feel too bad a lot of folks I know have graced the list. LOL

That's why people just read it and doesn't think a second thought about it, but if it says spousal abuse or DUI or anything serious I take a second look. It is kind of a waste of time and space, it's also in The Impact.

virgo
12-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Why do you feel like you need to know these things? Good people make mistakes all the time. That doesn't mean they need to be printed in the newspaper. I couldn't care less about Johnny Dupree's relative being arrested, or a city counsel member driving without a license? What does me knowing that to do to my every day life.
It's nothing more then gossip, not necessary at ALL.

I didn't say that I needed to know these things. But there are lots of people who do. And I would like to know if a city counsel member is driving a city vehicle without a valid license. If I have to obey the law, so do elected officials. Are you saying that you don't want to know when an elected official gets arrested or is given a citation?

Conveyor Belt
12-31-2007, 10:38 AM
You want to know why it's in there? B/C it's the only reason some people buy the paper.

A lot of people are nosy, and want to know. I want to know, but I'm not wasting my money on the Petal Paper. It's fun to see people you know in there.

proudtobefrompetal
12-31-2007, 12:40 PM
guilty as charged... I read the obituaries & the crime report 1st. :smt086

ComputerDude
12-31-2007, 12:43 PM
I didn't say that I needed to know these things. But there are lots of people who do. And I would like to know if a city counsel member is driving a city vehicle without a valid license. If I have to obey the law, so do elected officials. Are you saying that you don't want to know when an elected official gets arrested or is given a citation?
Not at all. Why should I care of an elected official gets a ticket? If he or she does, does that mean they're not qualified to do their job?
If they did something really worth knowing it would make headlines, otherwise it's just basically gossip.

Mslady
12-31-2007, 12:51 PM
I just got my Hattiesburg American and I did a little research...well I looked at it! They have a similar section but it's called Crime Report and there are arrests in it ...no traffic citations. I like that better.

Dixie Tree Slayer
12-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Suppose your daughter just graduated High School and she starts dating this guy who from all appearances seems to be a nice guy for her.... Then he is absent for a week or three. Comes back and both...

ComputerDude
12-31-2007, 01:09 PM
So, given your hypothetical situation, how do you plan on stopping your "just graduated high school daughter" who is most likely EIGHTEEN from riding with that guy?

Dixie Tree Slayer
12-31-2007, 01:25 PM
So, given your hypothetical situation, how do you plan on stopping your "just graduated high school daughter" who is most likely EIGHTEEN from riding with that guy?
Requires lots of love, kindness, understanding, some beechnut chewing tobacco, and a shotgun!:ohnoes::-D
Probably a poor example but what about the others? Knowing your neighbor is a chronic law breaker? Laws meant to protect the individual? Perhaps your neighbor was picked up or driving with a suspended license? and your child is about to go to McD's for breakast? Suspended for what you wonder?
The little bit of good it does helps offset the little embarrassing tickets... I know in my youth or younger days the laws were meant for everyone else but me... I would speed. Dip off the road and do a perfect turn around burning my tires like someone else was paying for them... I drove 72 and was caught on 49 when it was 55. 82 going to Jackson once in Collins when it was still 55. And honestly my only concern was not my name being put in the paper but my insurance going up. Or my only ticket as a youth I was really worried about my mother finding out.. other than that? I don't see what the big deal is/was about someone's name popping up in the paper...:confused:

MSQueen
12-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Does Petal have a jail? :smt102

virgo
12-31-2007, 09:59 PM
Does Petal have a jail? :smt102

No. They use the Forrest County Jail if they need to take someone to jail.