PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Den.

Pages : [1] 2

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I have been doing some reading... seriously... I have.:smt105

Anyway, does anyone know if Devil's Den in Jones County is still in existence today? I read that it was a strategic hideout for Knight Company back in the day when they were in operation during the latter part of the Civil War. They were fighting against the Confederacy AND the Union. They had tricked the Union into giving them a bunch of ammo and guns by making the Union believe that the Knight Company was going to join them.

Anyway, this Devil's Den is said to have been in a bluff on the bank of Leaf River. It is described as being large enough to house 75-100 men and weapons, horses, and provisions... That is a big daggum cave. Anyway, they used it because it was unapproachable from the top because of it being in a bluff. The only way for the enemy to get to the entrance of the cave to shoot the occupants was for the enemy to get in the river in the wide open. So, Captain Newt's men were able to pick them off when they tried to get close without fear of being shot themselves.

If this cave is still there and has not caved in or eroded from the river I would would like to see it.

ok?

jojobeans1120
07-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I read Echo of the Black Horn when I was younger. My dad had gone many years ago, but I have no clue as to the condition of it today.

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 11:30 AM
I read Echo of the Black Horn when I was younger. My dad had gone many years ago, but I have no clue as to the condition of it today.
That is what I'm reading now. It is a very intriguing book.

jojobeans1120
07-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I enjoyed it. I grew up near the Jones/Jasper county line.... so it was very interesting to me as well!

a_cmc_2b
07-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing this myself if it's still there...

gonefishin
07-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I read that book too. I don't know about the cave, but if it were still in existence I would also like to see it.

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 11:33 AM
I enjoyed it. I grew up near the Jones/Jasper county line.... so it was very interesting to me as well!
It is weird to read a book that describes places you know and travel through frequently as being so important in history. Leaf River? Pachuta? Ellisville? Cracker's Neck? Tallahala Creek? Mason Creek? Ovett? It is all in there.

kuntrykruzin1
07-10-2009, 11:34 AM
i need to read this book

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I can't find any information at all on it other than the description it gives of its location and size in the book. It seems it should be a historical marker type thing. I don't know why the DWF&P hasn't tried to preserve it or something.

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 11:37 AM
i need to read this book
It is out of print but I think you can find a copy every now and then on Amazon or B & N. I will let you see this copy but I have to get the permission from the old lady that let me borrow it. The book is older than I am.

jojobeans1120
07-10-2009, 11:38 AM
It is weird to read a book that describes places you know and travel through frequently as being so important in history. Leaf River? Pachuta? Ellisville? Cracker's Neck? Tallahala Creek? Mason Creek? Ovett? It is all in there.

I know... I think it is worth reading again. It has been many years since I've read it.... reminds me of the stories my dad use to tell me.

a_cmc_2b
07-10-2009, 11:39 AM
If you could find it on a period map you could then do an overlay with a modern map and get pretty close.

gonefishin
07-10-2009, 11:39 AM
It's a very interesting read. If you don't know anything about the Free State of Jones County, or are just interested in knowing more about it then you need to read it.

kuntrykruzin1
07-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I can't find any information at all on it other than the description it gives of its location and size in the book. It seems it should be a historical marker type thing. I don't know why the DWF&P hasn't tried to preserve it or something.
its prolly like the swastika at camp shelby. they dont want it to preserve it so as to not have any trouble surrounding it.

jojobeans1120
07-10-2009, 11:41 AM

If I recall, it is somewhere around Gitano or whatever... in that general area from what I remember. But dear God, it's been 12-14 years since I read the book and my father told me all of the stories about it.

Fish-Bait
07-10-2009, 11:45 AM
newt was a republican.

JMC
07-10-2009, 11:48 AM
the book is kinda expensive....

a_cmc_2b
07-10-2009, 11:48 AM
It's on e-bay for between $75.00 & $102.00 Right now...You might want to be careful with that copy...

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 11:53 AM
If I recall, it is somewhere around Gitano or whatever... in that general area from what I remember. But dear God, it's been 12-14 years since I read the book and my father told me all of the stories about it.
The book don't give a real clear description of the exact location other than it being near Ellisville somewhere and on the Leaf River.

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 11:56 AM
It is cheaper on Amazon. Like 30 something dollars.

Link (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b_1_13?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=echo+of+the+black+horn&sprefix=Echo+of+the+B)

JMC
07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
its prolly like the swastika at camp shelby.

whattchoo talking bout willis?

a_cmc_2b
07-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Rivers low enough you could hike it to find it, or start up river and come down in a flat bottom boat or canoe...

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Rivers low enough you could hike it to find it, or start up river and come down in a flat bottom boat or canoe...
Are you suggesting a road... I mean river trip?

JMC
07-10-2009, 12:03 PM
acmc2b just said get off your duff and go find it....

Fish-Bait
http://books.google.com/books?id=P5H0ySirN1MC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=devil's+den+Jones+county&source=bl&ots=C73u6d7T-C&sig=5h-OJ-0BG4UZEEFumOxlpHJlKOI&hl=en&ei=ul5XSs6UA-WvtwfD3qjdCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7

Fish-Bait
where is panther creek?

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:05 PM
I do know for a fact that it was on the Leaf River. I know it was in Jones County. What I don't know is if the Jones County boundaries are the same as they were in 1864 OR if the course of the Leaf River has altered and either consumed or eroded away the cave. That is what I'm trying to find out.

Provided the river hasn't changed course that much and the county lines are close to where they were back then, it is possible that it is still there and wouldn't be that hard to find provided wax myrtles haven't grown up hiding the entrance. There can't be that many miles of Leaf River In Jones County can it?

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:06 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=P5H0ySirN1MC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=devil's+den+Jones+county&source=bl&ots=C73u6d7T-C&sig=5h-OJ-0BG4UZEEFumOxlpHJlKOI&hl=en&ei=ul5XSs6UA-WvtwfD3qjdCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7
I don't know but there is also a mention of Terrible Creek too... I have never heard of either of those. O, It talks about the Bouie River too, which I have heard of.

a_cmc_2b
07-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Are you suggesting a road... I mean river trip?

I'd be game...

a_cmc_2b
07-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Maybe a little research at the JCJC library could be of help...

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Me too if I can bring my fishing pole.

I ain't got no boat though... We would have to get JimmyJam or Fish_bait to take us...

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:13 PM
ktc97 is trying to find an 1864 map... he is good at that mapping and gps crap...

a_cmc_2b
07-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Me too if I can bring my fishing pole.

I ain't got no boat though... We would have to get JimmyJam or Fish_bait to take us...

I got a brand new pole that hasn't caught anything big enough to eat yet, so bringing the poles would be great...I even have a real fishing license this year.

So walking the river is out?

Anyone got an air boat we could borrow, that would speed things up...

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:18 PM
I got a brand new pole that hasn't caught anything big enough to eat yet, so bringing the poles would be great...I even have a real fishing license this year.

So walking the river is out?

Anyone got an air boat we could borrow, that would speed things up...
I haven't ever had the pleasure of riding in one of those but it looks fun...

Fish-Bait
07-10-2009, 12:18 PM
lemme make a call....I know somebody who may know. They are pretty schooled in battlegrounds around this area....

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:19 PM
If we could find someone that frequently fishes the river in that area they may know exactly where it is or where it would likely be.

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:21 PM
There is another hideout that has a supposedly large cave but it is described as being in a sawbriar thicket or something in a swamp. I'll go back a few pages and read and see if it gives any information as to the location.

I do remember the description of it saying there was a pond in front of it and therefore it offered protection because once again the enemy couldn't approach without being seen in wide open. It was described as a "hog calling ground." It also said that when the Knight Company ambushed supply lines coming with ammo and supplies to Rebel Forces as well as Union Army they would butcher the oxen for meat and would take the skin and put it in a hog waller hole and throw hickory nut shells in it to tan the hides to make shoes.

Fish-Bait
It's on private property.....it's gonna be nearly impossible to get to see. I can pm you a name, but I'm pretty sure you aren't going to be able to view it....the place is supposedly watched like a hawk...

Fish-Bait
oh...and it's not on the river.

Fish-Bait
07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
oh...and there is another book before the echo of the black horn. It was written in the forty's....

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
oh...and it's not on the river.
Did the river change course or was is the information in the book off?

Fish-Bait
07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
damn I'm good today.

a_cmc_2b
07-10-2009, 12:27 PM
It's on private property.....it's gonna be nearly impossible to get to see. I can pm you a name, but I'm pretty sure you aren't going to be able to view it....the place is supposedly watched like a hawk...

How about GPS coordinates? Can it be gotten to from the river?

Fish-Bait
07-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Did the river change course or was is the information in the book off?

I know"of" a guy that is part of the family that owns the land. Let's us just surmise to say you aren't the first to want to see it thus that is why it is off limits...this is the Free State of Jones we are talking about you know....

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:28 PM
damn I'm good today.
See if you can find anything about "Honey Island." They talk about it a lot in the book. And Reddoch's Ferry. It talked about Daniel Reddoch going to visit his grandfather and after they ate he and his partners (all part of Knight Company) got ambushed and he was killed.

Fish-Bait
07-10-2009, 12:29 PM
How about GPS coordinates? Can it be gotten to from the river?

It is in all likelyhood that you will be arrested for tresspassing on the spot. I don't have any coordinates or anything I don't know where it is. I just know a fella' that has inquired the same thing blues has and well...he still ain't been...

Fish-Bait
07-10-2009, 12:30 PM
See if you can find anything about "Honey Island." They talk about it a lot in the book. And Reddoch's Ferry. It talked about Daniel Reddoch going to visit his grandfather and after they ate he and his partners (all part of Knight Company) got ambushed and he was killed.

blues...you remember spraygun don't you????????????????

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I know"of" a guy that is part of the family that owns the land. Let's us just surmise to say you aren't the first to want to see it thus that is why it is off limits...this is the Free State of Jones we are talking about you know....
Dang. They must have had problems there in the past with vandals and sh*t.

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Yep

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Did Spraygun ask to go or is he a family member of the family?

JMC
only honey island i heard of is honey island swamp down south...

Fish-Bait
Yep

He's your huckleberry.

Fish-Bait
07-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Did Spraygun ask to go or is he a family member of the family?

he asked...you should call him...i'll pm you his numba'....he phone just died out though.

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Spraygun, fish-hook, and chevroletman... How could I forget???

You remember hungabear and gatornut?:-D

Fish-Bait
07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Spraygun, fish-hook, and chevroletman... How could I forget???

You remember hungabear and gatornut?:-D

sorry....you know I was always 68 sheets to the wind back in the day talkin' on that smoke box. I remember Goose though...he was a mortician...remember the story about the toe tag?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

a_cmc_2b
07-10-2009, 12:42 PM
It is in all likelyhood that you will be arrested for tresspassing on the spot. I don't have any coordinates or anything I don't know where it is. I just know a fella' that has inquired the same thing blues has and well...he still ain't been...

So it's either in view of someones home or it is under electronic surveillance...Oh well it sounded fun....

Fish-Bait
07-10-2009, 12:46 PM
So it's either in view of someones home or it is under electronic surveillance...Oh well it sounded fun....

I guess it is man. Like I said I don't know...just got the story about it.

JMC
07-10-2009, 12:48 PM
folks that have cool stuff like that on their property are usually assholes about it....

a_cmc_2b
07-10-2009, 12:59 PM
folks that have cool stuff like that on their property are usually assholes about it....

Yep, there is an old log cabin in desoto national forest with a nice pond up in the woods behind it. Been going out there for years, rode out this past sunday and there were posted signs everywhere. But in all honesty with the way folks abuse nature around here it's understandable why folks don't want you on their property.

rodney
07-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Now you boys have really got my courisity up!!!
I would love to see that place...
We have an old cave over here called "Pitts Cave" with a bad history to it also...
It is on Chickawayha? River not far from where I live,,,both boys have been in it ....scared the hell out of me when I found out about it!!!!

a_cmc_2b
07-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Till this thread I had no idea there were caves in South Mississippi...Now i'm curious to just how many they are, anyone know of any others?... A little spelunking never hurt anyone...

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Till this thread I had no idea there were caves in South Mississippi...Now i'm curious to just how many they are, anyone know of any others?... A little spelunking never hurt anyone...
I found a site that stated there are approximately 44 caves or caverns in Mississippi.

Most of them would be probably like a big muddy hole. There are only like a handful of them that are actually in stone the others would be just large holes.

Peppern49
07-10-2009, 07:39 PM
I ordered the book today.

Green Tea
07-10-2009, 07:51 PM
That sounds like a very interesting book. I wonder if they would have a copy at the library? I've been in a few MS caves, but they were in Nawth MS around Tupelo and near Tishamingo State park. They were stone and not much to them. You pretty much had to crawl on your belly in mud through most of them, but that's how you find the cool stuff. :-D I remember going to one cave at dusk. Liverwort was growing all over the cave entrance. As darkness approached, spots in the liverwort started to glow. It was firefly larva! In total darkness, it seemed as though you were star gazing. Oh and this was in the hotter parts of June. As you entered the cave, it was like entering AC.

Bluesman
07-10-2009, 09:33 PM
*Disclaimer* Just in case someone thought the book is about caves I want to make sure you know that it is NOT about caves. It talks about a few that were used by soldiers/deserters to hide/seek shelter in. The book is about the Knight Company of Jones County which was led by Captain Newt Knight that refused to fight in the Confederate army because he felt he should be able to take care of his people around his area. He did do that to some extent, but he also did some not so nice things and was known to pilage and raid those families' farms that he knew to not be sympathetic to his cause. His band of fighters fought against the North and the South.

VERY INTERESTING BOOK... HOWEVER IT IS NOT A BOOK ABOUT CAVES...

The way the book starts is kinda interesting too... Two white folks trying to be married but the man goes to jail and then to trial because of an archaic law that prohibited a black or percentage black person from marrying a white person. THEY WERE BOTH WHITE, BUT ACCORDING TO RECORDS AND HIS FAMILY HISTORY HIS GREAT GREAT GRANDMOTHER OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT WAS RACHEL THE SLAVE THAT HELPED NEWT KNIGHT AND HE EVENTUALLY MARRIED HER AND HAD YOUNGINS WITH HER AND FATHERED A LINE OF "BLACK" people with white skin and blue eyes.

Green Tea
07-10-2009, 09:37 PM
I gathered the book was not about caves from the other posts. Most of the discussion in this thread, however, was about caves. Geez. :smt105

marion
07-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Don't believe everything you read in Echo of the Black Horn. There's a lot of misinformation in it. The Free State of Jones by Victoria Bynum is good, although it can get boring at times when she's talking about pre-civil war history. There's also a new book out that i've heard good stuff about but haven't read yet and supposedly a movie in the works too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ted
07-10-2009, 10:33 PM
There is a book - Caves of Mississippi.
It is about caves in Mississippi.
I've never seen a copy SFAIK and I'm not even sure why I'm aware of it but it does exist.

Let's see - - - Here (http://openlibrary.org/b/OL4924271M/Caves-of-Mississippi).
Hmmmm - apparently published by USM.
May be available in the USM Library.

Scarlett O'Hara
07-10-2009, 10:43 PM
This is a dang interesting thread......this is so cool!

Snow
07-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Ted did you notice the authors name {E. Leslie Knight}

Ted
07-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Yes. :smt001

After a quick Googling - it appears to be a coincidence of name.
He is a PhD excercise physiologist and has written and co-authored a number of things unrelated to caves or Mississippi.
I found no connection to Jones County or USM.

mrs_q
07-11-2009, 12:33 AM
It is an interesting story about our area. I can remember Ethel Knight from when I was a little kid. Like Marion mentioned I have been told the book was not all that factual. My father grew up right there on the Leaf River where you go into Covington County and I have heard him talk about some of the places. I'm ashamed to say I have not been over that way in years but the Ferry you mentioned is familer...I think the first bridge when you go into Covington County may called that. I'll have to ask him about that tomorrow you have me interested.

Guru
07-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Let me see if I can remember all the posts and give you some good information: <br />
<br />
All this is just down the road from me, the Knight family have been family friends of ours all my natural life and...

Snow
07-11-2009, 01:46 AM
[North side of the Reddoch Ferry bridge]

That is where I have heard the den is

Guru
07-11-2009, 01:54 AM
That area is nearly flat on the North side of 84.

ynotme297
07-11-2009, 03:30 AM
I talked to an old timer tonight and ask if he knew where it was. He said it was almost on the Coveningtion/Jones co. line. Could not remember the owners name. Will try to find for me.

mrs_q
07-11-2009, 07:09 AM
The Knight Family Cemetery is my family cemetery & as far as I know there are no caves right around there but exploring in the woods was never high on my list when my granny was alive. I'm going to give my Dad a call today and ask him about it since he grew up there. That area is full of history,so much of it gets lost as older generations pass.

Petalian Stallion
07-11-2009, 07:52 AM

I used to go in Waddell Cave all the time in my teenage years and early 20's. I never made it to the end. Full of bats and a few cool "rooms". Mostly tunnel though. It is in Smith County a few miles east of Raleigh on Hwy 18. Smith Co. has limestone in parts and this is a limestone cave cut out by a small stream that feeds into the Leaf River. Lots of fossils.

At the Leaf River bridge on Hwy 18, the cave is a hundred yards or a little more north of the bridge and on the east side of the river. It is 20 feet up a 30 foot bluff. Just walk north of the bridge on the river until you see a very small stream coming into it on the right (east). Follow the stream up to the cave, maybe 50 yds. This is private land but we always respected it and never got caught, it's damn near jungle anyway.

marion
07-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Wow, it sounds like the Devils Den is right about where I thought it would be. Can't wait to get home and dig out my maps.

Anyhow, I take back what I said about the new State of Jones book. Apparently, it's not good info either: http://renegadesouth.wordpress.com/2009/07/03/the-state-of-jones-by-sally-jenkins-and-john-stauffer-a-review-part-one/.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bluesman
07-11-2009, 12:22 PM
I gathered the book was not about caves from the other posts. Most of the discussion in this thread, however, was about caves. Geez. :smt105
I know but I just wanted to make sure that no one had just came in on the tail of the conversation and thought it was about caves. That is all.

Bluesman
07-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Pachuta was mentioned in the book too. VERY GOOD info. Thanks. You sure you don't want to go to the Jap. Steakhouse with me and ktc97? I would love the opportunity to pick your brain for more...

Petalian Stallion
07-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Leaf River for their purposes was traveled mostly from around the Reddoch's Family Ferry area to the Taylorsville area through Hot Coffee and present day you would say from there on Hwy 84 at the Reddoch's Ferry bridge down to Hwy 588 between Collins and Ellisville.

I have always wanted to boat from Hwy 84 to Hwy 588 but have never done it. I did have a chance to see the parts that a lot of people don't go to much and the last time I was down there, about halfway between 84 and 588 was when I was in school. I will never forget it. It looked like the Amazon jungle. I expected a dinosaur to come out of the trees any minute. It looked that unseen. I doubt an air boat would get very far. I had thought of a flat backed canoe with a small outboard motor on it.

Me and 2 friends put in a johnboat w/ small motor and made that trip several summers ago. We might as well have been in the Amazon. It was cool for sure. We ran across one family on a sandbar and that was it. I used to do Okatoma all the time but have started taking the road less traveled in recent years. Another excursion is putting in at the steel bridge on Hwy 42 east of Petal at the Tallahalla and picking a spot down from there to do a run.

Going between 84 and 588 was pre-Katrina, but at the time we never had to portage.

rodney
07-11-2009, 03:29 PM
It is about time we had a post as interesting as this one on here!!!!jmo
thanks to all of you for the contributions...
it's almost like being there reading them....

Bluesman
07-11-2009, 05:34 PM
It is about time we had a post as interesting as this one on here!!!!jmo
thanks to all of you for the contributions...
it's almost like being there reading them....
Book also mentions some of the men making frequent trips to Waynesboro too... Thought that might interest ya.;)

Guru
07-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I talked to an old timer tonight and ask if he knew where it was. He said it was almost on the Coveningtion/Jones co. line. Could not remember the owners name. Will try to find for me.

* In the river flat separating Covington and Jones counties is where the Reddock Ferry bridge is located on Hwy 84.

a_cmc_2b
07-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Was at a BBQ today in Mount Olive, talking about Captain Night and the caves in the area when a gentleman states that he has a copy of "The Echo of the Blackhorn" that he would let me borrow. Needless to say I came home with the book and will start reading it in the morning.

This copy was the 6th printing, in October of 1992 by the Franklin Press, Inc. located in Baton Rouge.

Blues, thanks again for starting this thread, I am really looking forward to reading this book.

Guru
07-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Pachuta was mentioned in the book too. VERY GOOD info. Thanks. You sure you don't want to go to the Jap. Steakhouse with me and ktc97? I would love the opportunity to pick your brain for more info.:-D

* Man I would love to. I've been on vacation for 3 weeks and have to go back to work. Looking at my calendar I can see that I will be out of pocket on the 29th and 30th but if y'all ever want to make the short drive North of town to up here we will get in the big red truck and I will give you a tour to everything involved with this story.

I can't remember the Pachuta part right off the top of my head, it's been a while since I have opened the book. I do remember something distinctly about the Paulding part.

I'll pm you with my email address and cell phone number.

Guru
07-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Me and 2 friends put in a johnboat w/ small motor and made that trip several summers ago. We might as well have been in the Amazon. It was cool for sure. We ran across one family on a sandbar and that was it. I used to do Okatoma all the time but have started taking the road less traveled in recent years. Another excursion is putting in at the steel bridge on Hwy 42 east of Petal at the Tallahalla and picking a spot down from there to do a run.

Going between 84 and 588 was pre-Katrina, but at the time we never had to portage.

* Several on here have heard me mention a boat. I have one large hankering for a boat and that is to finally go down the Leaf River from Hwy 84 to Hwy 588. The water changes so much along the way that I figured a flat backed canoe type boat of some kind with about a 5 HP motor should make it through not only the deeper slow water but the shallow spots and those that have stumps, etc.
That is my one big goal to having what I would call a really functional boat one day.

a_cmc_2b
07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
* Several on here have heard me mention a boat. I have one large hankering for a boat and that is to finally go down the Leaf River from Hwy 84 to Hwy 588. The water changes so much along the way that I figured a flat backed canoe type boat of some kind with about a 5 HP motor should make it through not only the deeper slow water but the shallow spots and those that have stumps, etc.
That is my one big goal to having what I would call a really functional boat one day.

Sounds like a great boat ride... I'd like to have a wide bottom 10 foot flat bottom with a small engine to float many of the local shallow rivers & creeks. When we were leaving Hot Coffee today I stopped at the Oakayhay Creek right in town and walked around for a few minutes. it really looked like a nice little creek with some fine sand bars.

Guru
07-12-2009, 09:21 PM
On the Taylorsville side of Hot Coffee you will cross a bridge by a Church just a little ways but within easy eyesight of the store ON Hwy 37. The West side of the bridge is a bend in the creek with sand and washed gravel. You can sit there in a chair with your feet in the water and throw a spinner reel to fish the whole bend.
The water is really cold too.
Man you were all over me today. It's a wonder we didn't have a collision.

Petalian Stallion
07-13-2009, 07:49 AM

Read the book, "Paddling the Pascagoula". A tale about going from the top of the Leaf (and also Chickasahay)to the Gulf.

a_cmc_2b
07-13-2009, 11:23 AM
On the Taylorsville side of Hot Coffee you will cross a bridge by a Church just a little ways but within easy eyesight of the store ON Hwy 37. The West side of the bridge is a bend in the creek with sand and washed gravel. You can sit there in a chair with your feet in the water and throw a spinner reel to fish the whole bend.
The water is really cold too.
Man you were all over me today. It's a wonder we didn't have a collision.

I think you are talking about the Oakayhay... Here is a pic of the sign on the bridge and in the background is the store @ 532 & 37... We ended up in Taylorsville when we left Hot Coffee, but then took 28 back to SoSo & 29 to Augusta Rd in Ellisville.

http://www.myhattiesburg.com/forums/gallery/images/4864/large/1_oakaysay_lo_rez.jpg (http://www.myhattiesburg.com/forums/gallery/images/4864/1_oakaysay_lo_rez.jpg)

http://www.myhattiesburg.com/forums/gallery/images/4864/large/1_oakayhay_sign_lo_rez.jpg (http://www.myhattiesburg.com/forums/gallery/images/4864/1_oakayhay_sign_lo_rez.jpg)

Any chance you might know of anyone out that way who would want to sell an acre or two on that little creek somewhere.

CircusRide
07-13-2009, 11:44 AM
I've swam in Cohay Creek all my life. From Taylorsville to the Leaf River. Used to have nice sand bars and some bluffs we'd jump from (right behind the church). Family owns land on the leaf and have floated it from above Taylorsville down to Moselle area.
I met Ethel Knight once at a family reunion.

Remington
07-13-2009, 12:28 PM
I was with a survey crew in the woods off of 590 and an old man seemed like close to 90 years old came up to us and telling us all about Newt Knight and how he and his guys camped in those woods and how they were starving and a dog came up to them and they killed the dog and ate it. It must have been passed down from his grandfather because this was in the early 80's and he would have been born around the turn of the century or a little before.

wilkiesan
07-14-2009, 05:33 PM
A story from June 19th about a new book on Jones County history.

http://www.wdam.com/global/Category.asp?C=151146&clipId=&topVideoCatNo=98793&topVideoCatNoB=153366&topVideoCatNoC=98857&topVideoCatNoD=98855&topVideoCatNoE=153722&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=3889927

Guru
07-14-2009, 10:51 PM
I think you are talking about the Oakayhay... Here is a pic of the sign on the bridge and in the background is the store @ 532 & 37... We ended up in Taylorsville when we left Hot Coffee, but then took 28 back to SoSo & 29 to Augusta Rd in Ellisville.

http://www.myhattiesburg.com/forums/gallery/images/4864/large/1_oakaysay_lo_rez.jpg (http://www.myhattiesburg.com/forums/gallery/images/4864/1_oakaysay_lo_rez.jpg)

http://www.myhattiesburg.com/forums/gallery/images/4864/large/1_oakayhay_sign_lo_rez.jpg (http://www.myhattiesburg.com/forums/gallery/images/4864/1_oakayhay_sign_lo_rez.jpg)

Any chance you might know of anyone out that way who would want to sell an acre or two on that little creek somewhere.

* I went by it heading to Taylorsville and had to look at the name again. Everything out here is named "Oak" something or other.
I don't know about buying property like that. Most of it is owned by families forever and few of them would part with anything.
If I do hear something I will let you know.

rodney
07-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Book also mentions some of the men making frequent trips to Waynesboro too... Thought that might interest ya.;)

This means I have GOT to read that book now blues!!!!!!!!!!:kekeke::kekeke:
ty;)

gonefishin
07-15-2009, 12:34 AM
This means I have GOT to read that book now blues!!!!!!!!!!:kekeke::kekeke:
ty;)

It really is a good book. People should read more about the history in their own state. You would be surprised how much has been lost in the past 100 years.

rodney
07-15-2009, 12:40 AM
I like to read the history on any state be it good or bad.....

rodney
07-15-2009, 12:40 AM
I just like reading period...lol