PDA

View Full Version : City Icon passes away

Maggie-Doodle
11-20-2009, 10:45 PM
It is with a sad heart I post this...all the baby boomers in town knew Mr. Tom...

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/article/20091120/OBITUARIES/911200364/1023/Thomas-E.-Shutze-Jr.

Dixie Tree Slayer
11-20-2009, 11:29 PM
I have eaten ice cream at Seale Lily and still miss the place...
I had no idea who owned it or who Mr. Shutze was... But he certainly was one of what made a lasting memory of hattiesburg for me that will not soon die...

marion
11-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks for posting this MD. I have close connections to his family and noone thought to inform me. I really hate to hear this.....

Smoke Diver
11-21-2009, 12:32 AM
My favorite memory of the Seale Lily was leaving the Dixie Youth park after out baseball team had won. I can remember when my dad an mom took their turn to buy the ice cream for the team. We all piled in the back of my dad's old green ford pickup an rode to the Seale Lilly.

Kitty
11-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Burgertown.

The telephone to place drive-thru orders.

The fried mushrooms.

The fried cauliflower.

I sure miss that place.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Shutze.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Dixie Tree Slayer
11-21-2009, 12:46 AM
He also had fried ice cream...
Man my belly causing my mouth to water...

PalominofillyinMS
11-21-2009, 12:59 AM
My best friend & I would walk to Seale Lily & get hot fudge sundaes. Boy, were they good!!

Maggie-Doodle
11-21-2009, 10:12 AM
My mom had a restaurant here in town and I would often go to Seale-Lily or Burger Town to eat. She and Mr. Tom was good friends but he always scared the crap out of me...he just seemed soooo stern. I always hated when the two of them would attend restaurant assoc. meetings...I was always afraid Mr. Tom would tattle on me. :( He was a nice man though and would help you out IF he could. He will certainly be missed!

CircusRide
11-21-2009, 10:17 AM
1. I miss the old Burger Town.
2. His grandaughter and a couple great grandchildren live next door to my parents. Never knew they were related.

StormyRadio
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
aww- he was such a cool guy once you got to know him. I worked at Burgertown when I was 17 and we exchanged some fast food tips. He taught me how to make those fantastic double dipped onion strings and I showed him the Dairy Queen secret to making perfect root beer floats. I must have worn a needle through "Slow Ride" on the jukebox and we played so many hours of foosball that he once threatened to take the game out of the store-lol. He was a nice guy.

MDollfus46
11-24-2009, 03:08 PM
It is with a sad heart I post this...all the baby boomers in town knew Mr. Tom...

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/article/20091120/OBITUARIES/911200364/1023/Thomas-E.-Shutze-Jr.
As close as I was to Mike Shutze, back in HS, I never made the connection to this Shutze. Interesting that Eddie is in NM. Anybody have information on how and when Mike died?
I remember Seale Lily but not Burger Town. There was Burger HOUSE on the corner of Hardy and N. 17th at Kamper Park.

Ted
11-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Mike,
*If* my recollection is accurate :ohnoes: :-D -
Burgertown was to the left (East side) of the Dome Theater -
- between the Dome and the Varsity Cue Ball.

At the moment I can't picture what's there currently. :smt009

Butch
11-24-2009, 05:10 PM
As close as I was to Mike Shutze, back in HS, I never made the connection to this Shutze. Interesting that Eddie is in NM. Anybody have information on how and when Mike died?
I remember Seale Lily but not Burger Town. There was Burger HOUSE on the corner of Hardy and N. 17th at Kamper Park.I think Burger House was owned by the Ward Bros. Didn't know Mike had died either. He was married to Judy Butler and I know she died several years ago. The Shutze's lived down the street from me when I was growing up, Eddie was the local paper boy for a while. Remember Sue from Hattiesburg and Baton Rouge. All were very nice people. Mr. Shutze had a long fruitful life. Rest in Peace!

Maggie-Doodle
11-25-2009, 07:20 AM
I remember Seale Lily but not Burger Town. There was Burger HOUSE on the corner of Hardy and N. 17th at Kamper Park.

Dollfus, IF I am not mistaken, Burger Town was located where Checkers is today....or in that vicinity.

Paycheck
11-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Dollfus, IF I am not mistaken, Burger Town was located where Checkers is today....or in that vicinity.

That's about where I remember it.

Ted
11-25-2009, 08:49 PM

That's about where I remember it.
Checkers.
That's it. :smt023
Thanks guys.

Anybody heard from or seen CB lately?

Maggie-Doodle
11-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Checkers.
That's it. :smt023
Thanks guys.

Anybody heard from or seen CB lately?

I havn't seen/heard hide nor hair of him...I was thinking of him a couple of days ago. I suppose he is really busy right now...I "think" he is about ready to graduate!

Ted
11-25-2009, 10:18 PM
I think Burger House was owned by the Ward Bros. . . . Could be; I don't remember.
I'm pretty sure Ralph Lowry had it for a while and called it "Lowry's".

Ted
11-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Kevin,
That sounds right.
The best I recall the menu also included some of the customary Gold Post fare.