PDA

View Full Version : marshmallow roast

mac
05-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Does anyone know if you can buy sticks for putting hot dogs and marshmallows on for roasting over a fire?

fuzzis
05-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Does anyone know if you can buy sticks for putting hot dogs and marshmallows on for roasting over a fire?

They sell metal forks specifically for that in the camping section of your local super store.

a_cmc_2b
05-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Grew up using metal close hangers and or any long small stick we could get our hands on & then put a point on.

birthdaybunnie
05-21-2010, 09:50 PM
we always used a wire coat hanger.

Scarlett O'Hara
05-21-2010, 10:50 PM
I use my metal kabob skewers.........

wilebill
05-21-2010, 10:56 PM
I use a rake so I can do more than one at a time.

Scarlett O'Hara
05-21-2010, 10:58 PM
wouldn't a pitchfork be easier, WillyBilly?

wilebill
05-21-2010, 11:05 PM
wouldn't a pitchfork be easier, WillyBilly?

Not enough tines.

mac
05-21-2010, 11:12 PM
They sell metal forks specifically for that in the camping section of your local super store.

I bought one of those big forks that does a bunch at one time, but I was hoping to get something like a pack of wooden skewers that were long enough to use without getting your arm too hot.

mac
05-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Not that it matters now anyway. This last little rain storm has pushed my yard over the edge, so I postponed it.

fuzzis
05-21-2010, 11:14 PM
I bought one of those big forks that does a bunch at one time, but I was hoping to get something like a pack of wooden skewers that were long enough to use without getting your arm too hot.

The ones I've have in the trunk and the ones that ChiChi and her boy had this weekend have 2 tines. Light and thin.

Maggie-Doodle
05-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Grew up using metal close hangers and or any long small stick we could get our hands on & then put a point on.

We did too...I will pass on one thing though, IF you don't know what the tree or bush is you are going to use, DON'T use it. Some trees and shrubs are poisonous...a friend of mine almost had a boy scout croak because he cut a limb off of a bush that was poison, once he cooked his marshmellows at the cookout he got deathly ill and had to be rushed to the hospital...when the stick was identified the sap was what caused the kid to get so sick. Luckily, he was the ONLY one who used that particular plant and he was the only one that got sick.

I use a rake so I can do more than one at a time.

Not enough tines.

Geez, sounds like you are a little piggy! :kekeke:

Ted
05-22-2010, 03:10 AM
I wonder what he got ahold of.
Yew
Azaleas
Oleander
Mountain Laurel
Cherry Laurel
Nandina
all have woody stems that contain toxic substances.

Ligustrum berries - I don't know about the stems.
Wisteria seeds and pods. I don't know about the stems.

SNAFU
05-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Gander Mountain got em. Bought two this past week.

Maggie-Doodle
05-22-2010, 10:58 PM
I wonder what he got ahold of.
Yew
Azaleas
Oleander
Mountain Laurel
Cherry Laurel
Nandina
all have woody stems that contain toxic substances.

Ligustrum berries - I don't know about the stems.
Wisteria seeds and pods. I don't know about the stems.

I don't rightly remember now, that was in the early 80's...I have a hard time remembering what happened yesterday these days. :smt086 I just remember he was one sick kid and I prayed he did not croak! :(

Luvia
05-22-2010, 11:00 PM
We always used sticks found in the yard and my daddy's pocket knife to sharpen them. I had no idea anyone used anything else or that it was possible to purchase them...

Learn something everyday, I guess.

George McFly
05-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Can't go wrong with wire hangers.

Ted
05-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Can't go wrong with wire hangers.Ditto. :smt023
Wire hangers are traditional. And historic.
And you can stack multiple marshmallows on a hanger.
Just remember to burn the lacquer or paint off first. ;)

If ya don't burn your fingers with the first one you ain't doing it right. :-D

mac
05-23-2010, 01:46 AM
I always used wire hangers, too. I just don't have very many that don't have paint on them, and I don't want to make my friends mentally retarded by feeding them marshmallows filled with lead paint from China or whatever.

I hope my husband reads this thread and sees how common coat hangers are as weeny roasters. He made fun of me when I mentioned it.

kewlmom
05-23-2010, 01:56 AM
We just use the painted one cause our friends are all retarded to begin with. Wait, no, that wasn't right. We burn the paint off in the fire first. Yeah, that's right.

chaz
05-23-2010, 04:09 AM
I always used wire hangers, too. I just don't have very many that don't have paint on them, and I don't want to make my friends mentally retarded by feeding them marshmallows filled with lead paint from China or whatever.

I hope my husband reads this thread and sees how common coat hangers are as weeny roasters. He made fun of me when I mentioned it.

Is he not from MS... or even the South?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

mac
05-23-2010, 08:51 AM
He grew up in Mt. Olive. I think he was just trying to get punched. :) He has a tendency to beg for it sometimes.

Fish-Bait
05-23-2010, 09:28 AM
I just hold em' over the fire with my hand.

Scarlett O'Hara
05-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Fish-Bait=Chuck Norris

Fish-Bait
05-23-2010, 11:48 AM
saw the vet last night at the steakhouse Scarlett....didn't see you though.

Scarlett O'Hara
05-23-2010, 11:54 AM
wasn't us.........we had a honey do shower..........there is another one just like ours in town, though...............just not as cool.........:)

Fish-Bait
05-23-2010, 11:56 AM
well I'll be danged. a clone.

Dixie Tree Slayer
05-23-2010, 12:04 PM
well I'll be danged. a clone.
Someone trying they best to be cool as the original?

Scarlett O'Hara
05-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Scarlett, often immitated, never duplicated...........

kewlmom
05-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Scarlett, often immitated, never duplicated...........
Love it!:clap:

Maggie-Doodle
05-23-2010, 01:13 PM
When I was a Boy Scout leader we made our sticks for roasting marshmellows and such. I had each kid bring in a heavy duty wire coat hanger and a wouple of wooden or heavy plast thread spools.

We cut the hanger, straighten it out, threaded on the two spools and bent the end up so they would not fall off. (the spools were the handles so the kids would not burn their hands) I would give them sandpaper to run up and down the length of coat hanger to get off some of the paint/varnish, then they would hold them over the fire and let the rest of the paint burn off. They would then sandpaper again and then wash the hanger good before putting on the food. I even had a couple of kids that cut off oak branches, had their dads put holes in the center with a drill press and use that for their handles. :) They then used a wood burning kit to put their names on the handles.

Ted
05-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Scarlett, often immitated, never duplicated........... "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
;)