PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Cheap to sue Hudson's Outlet?

Paleo-Conservative
12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
OK so briefly the story as I've been told it. Some of the details may be a bit off.

Hudson's salvage sold out to some dude from Canada (Ross Roberts or whatever) and he bought the franchize.

So he bought the franchize from Billy Hudson Jr.

Ok all is good and good and stuff...

So the canadian dude pulls the "Hudson" name down from all the stores and is left with Dirt Cheap and Treasure Hunt (trademarks 0r whatever?)

So, Billy Hudson SR (who hasn't been in such business since 1997) opens Hudson's Outlet.

Now, the new owners of Dirt Cheap and Treasure Hunt it seems fired the main buyers (of salvage merchandise) and office help from the company. And Billy SR then hires them to work for him at Hudson's Outlet.

So anyway, the Canadian guy puts the "Hudson's" name back up on some of the fronts of the stores.....

and then is now going to sue Billy Hudson SR because he has opened "Hudson's Outlet"

Now I'm sorry Mr. Candadian... but the guy's name is HUDSON.

And I really doubt a judge is gonna rule in your favor unless you've got a sole license to the 'Hudson' name for this area.

And I doubt it....

Anyway that's what i heard...

Paleo-Conservative
12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
And the Hattiesburg American is supposed to run with this story tomorrow or something.

itsAmbah
12-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Yep, my mom is really good friends with Mr. Hudson and he got his son to hire her as Asst. Manager at Dirt Cheap before they sold to Ross Roberts. Billy Hudson Jr. required that they take the Hudson name off of the stores when they sold them. The trucks were painted over and the employees in the stores were required to either use a marker to mark out the name on their aprons and name tags or turn them over completely.
We were in Dirt Cheap in Petal on Monday and Ross put up a big sign at the front doors saying that they were in no way affiliated with Hudson's Outlet and that they are the "ORIGINAL" Hudson's.
I don't think the lawsuit is going to go anywhere.

Paleo-Conservative
12-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Yep, my mom is really good friends with Mr. Hudson and he got his son to hire her as Asst. Manager at Dirt Cheap before they sold to Ross Roberts. Billy Hudson Jr. required that they take the Hudson name off of the stores when they sold them. The trucks were painted over and the employees in the stores were required to either use a marker to mark out the name on their aprons and name tags or turn them over completely.
We were in Dirt Cheap in Petal on Monday and Ross put up a big sign at the front doors saying that they were in no way affiliated with Hudson's Outlet and that they are the "ORIGINAL" Hudson's.
I don't think the lawsuit is going to go anywhere.

Ha, yeah I doubt it will either. The guy who opened the new 'Hudson's Outlet' is not the guy they bought the company from apparently. And it would be a little hard to tell a person that they can't use their own name when naming the store. That would be quite a stretch...

Besides, everyone knows that the real 'Hudsons' revolved around a local family.

What really matters to the local consumers is whether or not they'll keep their prices low so folks around here get a bargain.

That's what we really care about... not some stupid lawsuit over the name of a store.

CircusRide
12-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Canada is gay.

Paleo-Conservative
12-01-2010, 10:30 PM
It would seem that folks from Canada are not well educated in how to do business in South Mississippi (they should consult with Steven Palazzo and Haley Barbour to get caught up).

I mean anyone should have expected such a move from the Hudson family. They win by selling the business... and then win again by opening a competing store of the same type under their own famous locally appreciated name.

Just a piss-poor business decision.

He should have gotten a laywer BEFORE he bought the company.

OTM
12-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Ha, yeah I doubt it will either. The guy who opened the new 'Hudson's Outlet' is not the guy they bought the company from apparently. And it would be a little hard to tell a person that they can't use their own name when naming the store. That would be quite a stretch...

Besides, everyone knows that the real 'Hudsons' revolved around a local family.

What really matters to the local consumers is whether or not they'll keep their prices low so folks around here get a bargain.

That's what we really care about... not some stupid lawsuit over the name of a store.The guy that opened the outlet is THE Billy Hudson. One of the founders of the original Hudsons. He let his son, or son's, have it and they sold it to the Canadian people with the understanding they would take the name Hudsons off of it.

Paleo-Conservative
12-01-2010, 10:45 PM
The guy that opened the outlet is THE Billy Hudson. One of the founders of the original Hudsons. He let his son, or son's, have it and they sold it to the Canadian people with the understanding they would take the name Hudsons off of it.

Yep thats the way I heard it..

itsAmbah
12-01-2010, 10:55 PM
I think Ross Roberts is a jerk.
He would CONSTANTLY walk around Dirt Cheap telling people that they were no longer Hudson's and had nothing to do with the name.
But now that Hudson's Outlet is open he wants the name back up on everything.

The quality of things at Dirt Cheap and Treasure Hunt have gone downhill in the past few months; I like Hudson's Outlet MUCH better.

PalominofillyinMS
12-01-2010, 11:06 PM
I think that a lawsuit is just nuts! The man's name is Hudson & if he wants to open an outlet store with HIS name on it, he should be allowed to do so. The Canucks need to remove the HUDSON name from "Dirt Cheap" & "Teasure Hunt". Hubby & I go to the DC in Petal & Hattiesburg every weekend & I just hope that they don't jack their prices up! How are the prices in the Outlet? And what kinds of merchandise do they have? Anthing good??? Inquiring minds want to know...!:-D

drake
12-01-2010, 11:31 PM
So, what's the one in Cloverleaf?

itsAmbah
12-02-2010, 12:06 AM
So, what's the one in Cloverleaf?

Treasure Hunt.

Maggie-Doodle
12-02-2010, 01:23 AM
I would not think the lawsuit had a chance in hell. The Canandian must have some wacky idea that just because he bought the stores from Hudson he bought the family name too.

I could see the lawsuit IF Mr. Hudson wanted to use the T. Hunt or D. Cheap in his new store names but he doesn't. Doesn't make sense that he can't open another store called Hudson's Outlet....does that mean anyone named Hudson could not open a store somewhere else and name it Hudson's? I would NOT think so...IF the Canadian doesn't like it, he should go to hell back to Canada! :smt023

I am pretty sure that Mr. Billy is astitue enuf of a business man to have checked that situation out BEFORE he named his store....he hasn't been in business as long as he has by being stupid!

chaz
12-02-2010, 01:23 AM
It's all going to boil down to what was in the contract. If he had rights to the name, he can certainly use it. Anyone here laid eyes on that sales agreement?

petalgirl00
12-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Why are the Canadians afraid of a little competition anyway?
Chaz- he didn't sign an agreement so I don't know how it would apply to him. He said on the news his son signed a non compete clause but he didn't so he could do whatever he wanted.

needinfo
12-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Hudsons was Hudsons for as long as I can remember, then they opened the Dirt Cheap and Treasure Hunt ones. They may have been operating under the umbrella of Hudsons, but when sold the Hudson name was not to be used, I bet. Just as with our businesses here, we operate under an umbrella, but when the dealership is sold it becomes whatever the buyer wants, without our umbrella name. They can keep the franchise name such as Toyota etc, but not the umbrella name it operated under. It would seem to me Hudsons can use his name, maybe the Hudson Jr cannot if he had a non compete clause, but if Hudson Sr was not a part of the sale, then he is in the clear, IMO. My boss has sold over 40 dealerships and numerous other businesses over the years and he has always retained the name except for the franchise. This lawsuit will go nowhere unless Hudson Sr was listed somewhere in the contract. I think the Roberts guy is just grasping because he knows he has some competition and if he took Hudson off his signs (as was probably in the contract) then he should not be allowed to put the name back up.

Leebo
12-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Hey, at least Hudson's Outlet is getting some pretty awesome advertising out of the deal.

Kitty
12-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Another thing to consider is some years back the Hudson stores were divided within the family, with Mickey Hudson retaining a number of the stores that operate under the "Hudson Salvage" name.

In fact, I saw a TV commercial just the other day for Hudson's that had Myles Hudson in it, who is Mickey's son.

I don't see this Canadian group going after Mickey Hudson and his stores, plus it sounds to me like they pretty much hurt their case when they decided to rebrand the stores as "Treasure Hunt" and "Dirt Cheap" without the Hudson name attached.

Bluesman
12-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Billy Sr. didn't sign a "non-competitive" clause agreement... His son did. Lawsuit will end up being a joke. Will not go anywhere.

chaz
12-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Billy Sr was an officer of the corporation. Would need to see a copy of the xomplaint to see what entities were involved

chaz
12-02-2010, 11:52 AM
From the HA article it appears the complaint is centered around trademark infringements and not noncompete.

wilebill
12-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Sometimes you buy the name, it's called Goodwill and basically pertains to the value of the name. Some businesses have a lot of Goodwill and just the name is worth a lot. In a lot of cases it doesn't make any sense to not buy the name.

So yeah, Chaz has it nailed. Unless we know what the guy bought, it's all just speculation on our part whether the lawsuit has any merit.

itsAmbah
12-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I have no idea WHAT he bought but, like I said earlier, when the guy bought Treasure Hunt and Dirt Cheap he MADE them take the Hudson name off of everything. The name was painted over on the trucks, nametags were whited out, the name had to be crossed out on aprons and everything.

I'm pretty sure he just bought the names Treasure Hunt and Dirt Cheap and not Hudson's just because he did all that extra stuff to ensure that the name wasn't on anything in the store.

OTM
12-02-2010, 04:58 PM
That didn't take them long. Treasure Hunt and Dirt Cheap are already running tv ads using the Hudson's name.

rodney
12-02-2010, 05:14 PM
This is all just messed up to me!!!:(

needinfo
12-02-2010, 05:14 PM
I would counter sue if I was Mr. Hudson, especially if he was not sold the name. He is an idiot, does he think it is gonna make a difference now?

Mumbo Gumbo
12-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Another thing to consider is some years back the Hudson stores were divided within the family, with Mickey Hudson retaining a number of the stores that operate under the "Hudson Salvage" name.

In fact, I saw a TV commercial just the other day for Hudson's that had Myles Hudson in it, who is Mickey's son.

WELCOME TO HUDSONS! You're going to read about the making of a bargain shoppers dream come true. Hudsons is one of the largest retailers of salvage and close-out merchandise in the United States. Hudsons has many full time buyers who travel all over the country hunting for merchandise to delight your shopping fancy. Our own fleet of trucks and trailers travel the highways bringing the reclaimed goods purchased from insurance companies back to our customers before the headlines of a disaster have paled on the news wires. We currently have eleven store locations and over three hundred employees to serve you the customer, with more locations coming soon.

In 1938 the late H. C. Hudson in Hattiesburg, Mississippi founded Hudson Mercantile Company. His son, Mickey Hudson, opened a store of his own in Tylertown, Mississippi in 1965 and Hudsons, Inc. was born.

Mickey Hudson led the company for 24 years until in 1987 his daughter Melissa Hudson Callahan joined him. A few years later in 1995, Myles Hudson joined them. They maintain stores in Laurel, Columbia, Magee, Ridgeland, McComb, Waynesboro, Jackson, Pearl, and Tylertown, Mississippi. Hudsons of Brookhaven, Mississippi, opened in October 2002.

Hudsons corporate office and distribution center moved to its current location at Tech Park South, Highway 11 South, Ellisville, Mississippi, in October 1996. At this location, Hudsons has over 125,000-sq. ft. of space to process and distribute the merchandise to the individual store locations with the shortest turnaround time possible.

Hudsons retails brand name merchandise at substantial savings to our customers. Typically customers find discounts of 40, 50, 60 percent or more off everyday competitors prices! We do this by purchasing merchandise in a slightly distressed condition, which has been the result of insurance claims. So, if you don't mind slight damage (usually on the outside of packaging, which you throw away,) and like to pay half of what you're accustomed to paying, Hudsons is a shopping experience like no other!

Hudsons sells a variety of ladies', men's and children's shoes and clothing for any budget. We also sell name brand close-out merchandise ranging from kitchen utensils to lawn furniture to health and beauty items to sporting goods to ......A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT STUFF! A shopper may be able to find a one-hundred dollar department store designer label dress marked 60% off in one aisle, a sixty dollar pair of name brand shoes 80% off in another aisle and a Hudson priced pair of jeans for $4.99 in another area. There is one key to shopping Hudsons... You must shop often because that item that you want today will be gone tomorrow, replaced by a new inventory of merchandise at great prices.

We welcome you as a customer at any of our ten locations. http://www.hudsonsalvage.com/corporatestory.htm

Mumbo Gumbo
12-02-2010, 06:41 PM
And then a 2002 article in the MS Business Journal with a little different spin on how it all went down. The graduating in 1979 has got to be a typo.

In 1957, H.C. Hudson's son, Billy Hudson, opened his first salvage retail store in Magee. After graduating from college, another son, Mickey Hudson, opened his own salvage retail store. In 1976, the two brothers combined their business and formed Hudson Salvage Centers Inc. Until his death in 1986, H.C. Hudson ran an independent salvage retail store.

"When I was six years old, I would go around with them to look at damaged smoky merchandise and learned to bid stocks," said Hudson. "I was probably the only kid on earth that had a dream to be the greatest salvage man in the world. When other kids were playing ball, I was working in a warehouse unloading trucks."

After graduating from high school in 1979, Hudson joined the company full-time. His weekly salary was $150 to manage a small store with three employees.

"I've got a twelfth-grade education with a master's in hard knocks and a Ph.D. in trial and error," he said. "I wish I had taken the time to get a Harvard MBA, but I didn't have the patience or the opportunity.

"In the first year, I made every management mistake there was to make, but the store had a record year of $500,000 in sales in spite of my mistakes, so Dad let me open a new one. I even got financing to build the building so I could rent it back to the company."

A turning point came in 1981 when Billy Hudson, ill and discouraged with the business, considered shutting it down.

"I convinced him to let me have a shot at running it," he said. "I guess he figured he didn't have much to lose, so when I was 20, he handed me the reins, knowing I would work 70 or 80 hours a week. But I felt that I had just been given the opportunity of a lifetime. For the next several years, I was on the road building relationships and buying salvage on an average of more than 200 days a year."

In 1981, when Hudson acquired 10% of company stock and assumed the role of vice president of operations, the company had 45 employees and nearly $2 million in annual gross sales revenue. By 1986, Hudson had purchased 27.5% of company stock and annual sales had jumped to $24 million.

In 1991, Billy and Mickey Hudson split the business, and Billy and Bill Hudson Jr. co-founded Hudson Salvage Inc. First year sales were $19 million. By 1996, annual sales were $40 million and Bill Hudson Jr. bought his dad's shares.

JustGettinBy
12-02-2010, 08:12 PM
:kekeke:
It would seem that folks from Canada are not well educated in how to do business in South Mississippi (they should consult with Steven Palazzo and Haley Barbour to get caught up).

I mean anyone should have expected such a move from the Hudson family. They win by selling the business... and then win again by opening a competing store of the same type under their own famous locally appreciated name.

Just a piss-poor business decision.

He should have gotten a laywer BEFORE he bought the company.

Well, it seems to me that if you didn't know the person who purchased these companies, is indeed a well educated Attorney himself, then you probably should not be posting until you get the facts.

rodney
12-02-2010, 08:27 PM
uh----ohhhhhhhh

schoir
12-02-2010, 09:27 PM
:kekeke:[/COLOR][/U]

Well, it seems to me that if you didn't know the person who purchased these companies, is indeed a well educated Attorney himself, then you probably should not be posting until you get the facts.

Canadian attny?

Paleo-Conservative
12-02-2010, 09:37 PM
:kekeke:[/COLOR][/U]

Oh yeah I heard he was an attorney... from Canada...

and that his GIRLFRIEND is also an attorney...

from florida...

and that he just bought that girlfriend and her folks a home in Lake Serene..

though HE DOESN'T LIVE WITH EM....

As I indicated from the beginning... I'm just presenting the story as I heard it...

Get off your high horse already...

Paleo-Conservative
12-02-2010, 09:42 PM
For the sake of horses this is a forum not a certified news source...

needinfo
12-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Trademark infringement - as in the Hudson name? That is just stupid.

Kitty
12-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I was at Treasure Hunt this afternoon and noticed that "Hudson's" is in big blue letters on the north side of the building.

countrygirl
12-03-2010, 06:20 PM
I heard an ad on the radio this afternoon that associated the Hudson name with the Treasure Hunt store in the old Cloverleaf Mall. Legalities aside....I think it stinks if someone else...even your child....can sell your name to a third party. I know I would be pretty upset if I gave a business to a child, he/she sold it with the stipulation that I couldn't use my own name in a new business if I decided to open one.

nomad4018
12-03-2010, 06:58 PM
And the Hattiesburg American is supposed to run with this story tomorrow or something.
Old new WDAM ran the story days ago.

http://www.wdam.com/Global/story.asp?S=13591523

chaz
12-04-2010, 12:30 AM
If Sr is upset, he knows who to blame...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAYMJnO9LBQ

Arleigh
12-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I bought a pair of camel colored heel boots at Hudson's or is it Treasure Hunt.. Aw heck they were cheap that's all that matters right?

itsAmbah
12-06-2010, 11:15 AM
I bought a pair of camel colored heel boots at Hudson's or is it Treasure Hunt.. Aw heck they were cheap that's all that matters right?

Right.
I bought a pair of authentic Christian Louboutin's at Treasure Hunt early this year.
They were 200 (compared to a bajillion)

OTM
12-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I little bird told me that around the end of the week, they'll be putting out alot of hunting stuff from a large store from Stuttgart, Arkansas.

Baloo
12-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I am happy to see Mr. Hudson back in the business! He is a man with class and a business man whom I respect. :smt023

itsAmbah
12-06-2010, 08:36 PM
So..I was just in Treasure Hunt about an hour ago.
Ladies, they've got make-up and shoes 40% off.
And undies from Frederick's of Hollywood 50% off.
:smt023

anndee
12-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Just went there today for the first time and it was great. Nice, clean, helpful and friendly staff. Bought Car51 6 evening gowns.....

JustGettinBy
12-29-2010, 12:41 PM
This is so funny....ROSS ROBERTS does NOT own the Hudson's Treasure Hunts and Hudson's Dirt Cheaps!!!!!! I am sure he wishes he did, lolololol. People get your stories straight....these forums are hilarious!

Fish-Bait
12-29-2010, 12:45 PM
This is so funny....ROSS ROBERTS does NOT own the Hudson's Treasure Hunts and Hudson's Dirt Cheaps!!!!!! I am sure he wishes he did, lolololol. People get your stories straight....these forums are hilarious!

I knew he didn't. As a matter of fact Ross joined Hudson's in 2003, bringing with him more than a decade of experience in executive management positions in a $180 million dollar retail liquidation business and almost 20 years in project coordination, purchasing and logistics management. He served as Vice President of Merchandising and Hudson's Dirt Cheap Warehouse Manager from 2003-2006 when he was promoted to Co-President of Retail Operations. Ross' degree in Civil Engineering combined with his wealth of experience and his analytical abilities make him a tremendous asset to Hudson's Buying Team. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Arleigh
12-29-2010, 01:17 PM

If you feel that we have incorrect information - please feel free to "straighten out our stories" :smt105

Dixie Tree Slayer
12-29-2010, 01:19 PM
So sayeth the Bait!

BAM!!! In your FACE!!!

Fish-Bait
12-29-2010, 01:22 PM
boooyah!

needinfo
12-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Aren't business records easy to check to see who owns what? They are in Florida just by logging on to the sunbiz site.

Rainey
12-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Who knows why I'm up and why I'm even posting in this thread. Ross Roberts didn't buy Dirt Cheap and Treasure Hunt, and is a good man. He would just laugh at this thread and probably say he wish he did own Hudson's.

I know in this tremendous community people love making stuff up and taking sides for absolutely no reason, but I personally know everyone involved and they are good people. Just because someone sells something, or someone buys something, or is just associated with a situation doesn't make them "evil" or "good" for that matter.

Dixie Tree Slayer
12-30-2010, 08:37 AM
I bet he had a V8 this morning though...

Dixie Tree Slayer
12-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Aren't business records easy to check to see who owns what? They are in Florida just by logging on to the sunbiz site.
Here you can search by name of bidness, owners, occifers and the like,,,
http://www.sos.ms.gov/business_services_business_formation2.aspx

Rose
01-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Family Tree Summary
H.C. Hudson....1933 or 1938...opened Hudson's in Palmer's Crossing and ran it until his death in 1986.

H.C. had two sons....Billy Sr. and Mickey. They ran a speparate Hudson's. They split their stores in 1991. Mickey went one way (Laurel, Columbia, Magee, Ridgeland, McComb, Wayndesboro, Jackson, Pearl, and Tylertown) with the fish logo....Hudson Salvage Center......

and Billy Sr. and son Bill Jr. went another with Hudson Salvage, Inc. Billy Sr. left in 1996.......but......
He's back.

JRG39402
04-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Interesting...