PDA

View Full Version : 2 Wiggins officers killed

wilebill
11-28-2005, 12:27 AM
From the Hattiesburg American site (http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051127/NEWS01/51127002).

Say a prayer for their families...

fuzzis
11-28-2005, 08:39 AM
How awful. The X boy is a police officer, and I remember well the times he'd get the call to go in because a fellow officer was down. And I remember the panic I felt after we'd broken up, and I heard on the radio that an officer had been killed (I wondered if it was him, or his sister, or his mother, or his brother, or any of the incredible men and women I'd met when we were together).

May their families find some comfort and peace in the coming weeks.

fuzzis

fuzzis
11-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Just a quick question...as I've been listening to the news today, they're saying that one of the officers was a five year veteran...at the age of 23. How does that happen? I know that with X, he had to wait until he was 21 to go through the police academy (even though he worked at the academy and for the police department as a Community Service Officer...unarmed officers who do traffic control and crime scene investigation, freeing up armed offices for more serious calls) because of federal regulation stating that you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun. (Not that he didn't have them...just couldn't get one legally)

fuzzis

R1ZOOM
11-28-2005, 11:47 AM
He might have worked for them in a non-sworn job, such as in the office, or dispatch, or as a corrections officer or something like that until he turned 21. This is very sad indeed. I knew Odell, and was very saddened to hear of this tragedy. Too many officers have been killed in Mississippi this year. It's times like these that people need to reflect on how people are often so quick to criticize when they think an officer might have over-reacted to a situation. As officers we never know what might be waiting for us behind the next door or in the next car. Very sad indeed, my prayers go out to both families and to the other officers at Wiggins, Stone County, and the firefighters at Wiggins FD...I know all of those guys work really close together down there.

noway
11-28-2005, 11:56 AM
This is so sad.. I can feel what the officers, dispatchers, and the entire stone county comunity is going through. R1ZOOM made a good point officers never know whats behind the next door or in the next car. The law enforcemnet community suffered a loss last night. As I know many of them they will be strong and get through this. They will be there to protect and serve us, we just need to give them thanks and say a prayer for them today. My prayers are with the dispatchers that were on duty I know them well & they will make it through this.

ynotme297
11-28-2005, 03:00 PM
this is a very sad day for many, myself included. i heard the call as it was given out. my heart lept to my throat. i too knew odell, not very well, but he was a fine man. my prayers also go to out to the survivors. most people do not know that there are many areas in the small cities and out in the counties where there is only one or two police or sheriff`s deputies to cover a sometimes vast area. they don`t have, in many cases, backup that is very close. a domestic dispute call is the leading killer of all police calls. you never know what to expect. you may be a very experienced officer and still get hurt or killed if you let your guard down for on second. lets all pray and give our respect to those who serve and protect.

noway
11-28-2005, 05:55 PM
I just watched a press conference on wlox.com..Brought tears to my eyes.. Looks like wlox.com went live today for the press conference. Wlox has another story on the website.. with video.. I havent checked WDAM yet do they have anything?..

talkizcheap
11-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Yes, I totally agree with you. WLOX scooping WDAM again, in an area where Channel 7 should be able to dominate. That live press conference was an amazing thing to behold live.

Monkey
11-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Being from a small town on the coast I remember when two of our city police officers were shot and killed. It's a terrible thing for a city to go through. I didn't know the officers, but the whole town was in mourning. It's especially difficult in a small city like that.
I'm sure the city of Wiggins will rally around those families the same way our city did.

lamarrebel
11-30-2005, 11:24 AM
This is such an awful tragegy. Although I did not know either of the men, this is a great loss for the Wiggins community and law enforcement.

I think WDAM has basically ceded the viewership of that area to WLOX. Although Wiggins is between Hattiesburg and Gulfport, I've seldom seen much news coverage of Stone County, including high school sports