Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Devilish
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Coast Fishing Report?

I am heading down to Pascagoula early in the morning. Anyone been lately? Had any luck? The weather forecast is calling for an east wind all day, but I am going anyway. I'll post results when I get back (probably Sunday morning...these trips always end late). If the new boat is running well, we may try out around the islands.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Flirty
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Coast Fishing Report?

Do you know where pine island is? Good fishing for hubby. Fish next to grass with tide. Should catch one every other cast. Where the grass and cypress meet. Use anise worm color purple. But that is a secret don't tell anyone.
    His eye is on the sparrow
    and I know he watches over me...

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

JimmyJam.....good luck with that East wind, and be careful if the caps start up. Had a buddy that went down LaFrance way 3 nights ago and said they picked up 50 specks, only 20 keepers though. Night fishing at lighted piers.
    Regards,

Rob Doherty

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Good luck and keep us posted! Looks like it could be a bit rough toward the islands.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Bring me back some shrimp, that is all........

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Devilish
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Well, it was a beautiful day to be on the water, but not in my boat. The motor ran beautifully out to Tucei's barrel, then died when I backed off the throttle, and then took the rest of the day off. After 5 hours of on-the-water tinkering, we gave up and ran up the distress flag. It took 2 more hours before anyone stopped to see if we needed help. The most ironic part is that just as the concerned boat started towards us, giant reds started blowing up on schools of mullet all around. But with the luck we had today, we decided to accept the tow and not wait for a later ride home.

It was aggravating when boats blew right by us for 7 hours. One guy saw me hanging off the back of the boat (with a carburetor bowl in my hand) and ripped by us full speed less that 20 feet away. The wake almost threw me out of the boat!

Some of the people we talked to said they were catching specks and whites, and a scattering of redfish. We landed only 1 gafftop, but we really didn't fish much.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Wow, People passing by and didn't even stop to see if you needed a hand????? That bites....what happened to boating ethics????? Glad you made it back safely.
    Regards,

Rob Doherty

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Flirty
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

JimmyJam, I sure hate that your fishing trip turned out badly. There's always next weekend. Do unto others and just let God deal with the rest. Everytime something bad happens to us and it does often, we laugh at the fact it could be worse. Just think you could have floated to Cuba and trying to learn the language real fast. Ha.
    His eye is on the sparrow
    and I know he watches over me...

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
    Well, it was a beautiful day to be on the water, but not in my boat. The motor ran beautifully out to Tucei's barrel, then died when I backed off the throttle, and then took the rest of the day off. After 5 hours of on-the-water tinkering, we gave up and ran up the distress flag. It took 2 more hours before anyone stopped to see if we needed help. The most ironic part is that just as the concerned boat started towards us, giant reds started blowing up on schools of mullet all around. But with the luck we had today, we decided to accept the tow and not wait for a later ride home.

It was aggravating when boats blew right by us for 7 hours. One guy saw me hanging off the back of the boat (with a carburetor bowl in my hand) and ripped by us full speed less that 20 feet away. The wake almost threw me out of the boat!

Some of the people we talked to said they were catching specks and whites, and a scattering of redfish. We landed only 1 gafftop, but we really didn't fish much.
    When we were proud owners of a boat and living in the Bay, we found that MOST of the bad boaters we encountered were from LA. They failed to heed no wake zones, would throw trash etc in the waterways, would drive recklessly and were just in general rude! I was really surprised that no one was killed in the Jordan River near the I-10 bridge near Diamondhead....That was the worse place of all!

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Sorry about the trouble. Boaters who ignore others in need are scum. Their time will come when they are hanging over the transom watching others pass. At least you didn't try for the islands!

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Devilish
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

It was a pretty day, and we kept hoping we could fix the problem. It wasn't like we were in any danger, and I did have a radio we could have used had we become desperate. Then again, my buddy and I may have scared people off. We are a degenerate-looking pair....

The only time I really got angry was when the guy passed right next to us in a river that is almost 3/4 of a mile wide at that point. We were out of the main channel, and after he passed us, he turned back east and headed out towards Round island. He came by just to throw a wake on us. We were WAY out of the path to his destination. BTW, the folks that towed us were down from Georgia. Very nice folks. We gave them the rest of our bait, and thanked them profusely.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I had that same trouble at Cat island and it took several hours to get it to where I could limp on in. Nobody would stop and I have pulled several in myself. Since then I have put a small spare motor on the back of my small boat for insurance to get in. My big boat has 2 inboard engines so I don`t have to worry as much. Also You can join vessel assist for a little over 100 dollars a year and they will come pull you in day or night and also give you a trailer tow policy for on the road. I do a lot of rig fishing at night about 30 miles off the coast so I like the thought of having vessel assist.

13. Moderated Post
    Guest User Guest

I've been there with the distress flag flying and folks going by looking the other way, but seems like there are plenty of good sumaritans left. Once I was helped by a viet crabber and another time a 14 year old with a 14' alum john boat and 5hp Johnson towed my extra heavy rig for 3 hours and would not accept pay.

I was also towed one day by the Tucie's bait boat I was able to hail on the marine radio. They wouldn't accept money but did accept a case of Miller Lite

I can honestly say that I never passed on an opporturnity to help a stranded boater anyway they wanted. I thot the honor of the sea code was the coolest thing about boating when I was dedicated to the call of the sea and those money holes we call, boats.

Out in the country past the city limit sign...
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Sounds like you would have had better luck with me at the kids t-ball game Jimmyjam.

You don't reckon your little tomboy sabatoged daddy's boat do you?

j/k

I wish it would have turned out better for you cause I was looking forward to the fishfry. Maybe later when the yard buzzards leave the ranch I can go with you and catch some big uns.
    If and only if, you promise NOT to become emotionally involved will I allow you to kiss my arse.
    Just Sensible Concepts

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I'm going this evening......Freshwater, a cellphone call away from help if I need it, but really, only a short troll to the nearest boat house........Any Port in a storm....
    Regards,

Rob Doherty

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Devilish
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Right now it looks like the fuel pump is the culprit. The gasket between the pump and the block was bad, and I may have been losing compression (and therefore fuel) through the bad spot. We also found a damp spot on the back of the diaphragm, so I may also have a leak in the diaphragm. I am going to find a rebuild kit for it, and then try it out at Paul B one evening. BTW, we also pulled and cleaned both carbs; they looked good. Plus, the motor cranked and ran fine after we replaced the gasket today.

It is hard to trust a motor that goes out on you like that. I bought this boat a few weeks ago, and it has been troublesome both times I took it out. My old Johnson 88 hp on the bass boat has been very dependable. I never think twice about taking it anywhere. It has never let me down. I'm going to miss that boat when I sell it.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hot
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Had some guys from work go kayakin' in the Biloxi back bay Saturday. They fished about 4 hours in the super shallow flats around low tide. Three fisherman 3 slot reds all around 23 to 24 inchers. 1 legal speck around 16. They lost two big ass bull reds. The bait they said was way shallow and the reds were up there cruisin' and tailin' and stuff. They had a good time and they were some nice fish caught. They said they are goin' back this weekend.

Last report I had from goula' was that the specks were on the outside of the rocks at Round Island. Big Specks. Flounders were up close by the seawall and the white skrimp were gettin' thick. This was at the beginning of last week.
    Flag football has got me pegged for the next month, so I guess I'll have to resort to my low tide January holes.........

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Asleep
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Friday we caught several crockers, and a red fish (nice size). Saturday we caught flounders, crocker, specks, & hubby 18 inch Red & 25 inch red. It was a great week-end.

Hope to be going again this week-end somewhere.
    Strangers are just friends that you don't know yet.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

JimmyJam, considering the company you had on the boat with you, that seven hours of being stranded might have seemed like seven days! You know, speaking of stranded, he does remind me of the Skipper from Gilligan's Island. But, oh, I remember - that was YOU!

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

LOL......I sense a shot fired across a bow.
    Regards,

Rob Doherty