Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 301
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Petal
    Posts
    1,827
    Hub Bucks
    1,966
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Wow, I haven't thought about the midget house in years, or the rides at the zoo, or the Chains displays (I won't ever forget them, especially Hefty Smurf), the Santa and Snowman at FGH, Burger Town, the old Kmart and the birds that used to live behind the K.... I could sit here all night thinking about stuff.
    The world's a playground.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Petal
    Posts
    2,004
    Hub Bucks
    2,104
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    What on Earth was the midget house???? I have never heard of that.
    Please remember that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Petal, MS
    Posts
    3,101
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Quote Originally Posted by moonwinx View Post
    we took a yankee cousin through the drive-thru funeral home. she freaked. we laughed. she freaked some more. we took her to farris falls. she freaked when a moccasin swam over her leg. we laughed. she freaked some more. she freaked when we drove for five blocks behind the skeeter fogger. we laughed. she freaked some more. she says that summer was the most memorable in her life.
    When I was in my teens, one night a friend of mine & her older brother came by & got me & we went "riding". My Mama used to say that we just liked to smell gas burning. LOL! Anyway, we went to the drive through funeral home & her brother & I dared my friend to get out & push the button to see if the glass would raise up & show a body in there. Her brother & I decided to be "mean" & run off & leave her there for a while. Well, it just so happened that there was a drunk passed out against the wall of the Funeral Home. He heard my friend & came to & started mumbling. She ran screamimg down the road after us & sheer terror was on her face. I told her brother to go back & get her so we did. She wanted to kill both of us! We laughed so hard that I thought that my sides would split! She didn't know who that was "mumbling, but I think that she thought that a ghost was after her or something! I will never forget that! Too funny!
    We keep you alive to serve this ship! Row well and live! Charlton Heston in Ben-Hur

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    291
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleInNOLA View Post
    In honor of Ms. Kyker, I thought it would be neat to have a discussion on some of our favorite Hattiesburg "icons": Who are the people and places that make Hattiesburg unique to you?

    Two of my favorite Hattiesburg icons are the Gold Post and Peter's Po Boys. (y'all can tell where my priorities are )

    (I hope someone will talk about the "midget house": I'd always heard it existed, but was unsure about what/where it really was.)
    When I was a kid we went to a yard sale at the midget house & they let us walk thru it. I was very impressed since everything was the same scale I was at the time. It was a regular house just w/scaled down furnishings. It was on East 4th or thereabouts, near the old Co-op as I remember, but I may be way wrong, just combining the two memories cause I liked the Co-op a lot too. The drive-thru funeral house was another favorite. Scary but intriguing.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Laurel
    Posts
    357
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Not from hattiesburg but do ya'll remember:: Engineer bob show and the golden flake clown
    I'm ready for Summer!!!!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Petal
    Posts
    1,827
    Hub Bucks
    1,966
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sGirl View Post
    What on Earth was the midget house???? I have never heard of that.
    It was this old abandoned house down the road where Puckett Lab used to be. I think they tore it down when they built Home Depot but I'm not sure. Regardless, it's gone. Anyhow, everyone always said it was extra small and made for midgets. It was smaller than the average house but it wasn't that small. I walked around just fine in it and so did all of my friends.

    I have quite a few memories from there but none that I'll own up to here.

    I'd love to know the real story behind it and why it was built smaller than normal.
    The world's a playground.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    291
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Macaffery's showtime. I have a few early memories of that.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Petal
    Posts
    1,827
    Hub Bucks
    1,966
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Quote Originally Posted by msinms View Post
    When I was a kid we went to a yard sale at the midget house & they let us walk thru it. I was very impressed since everything was the same scale I was at the time. It was a regular house just w/scaled down furnishings. It was on East 4th or thereabouts, near the old Co-op as I remember, but I may be way wrong, just combining the two memories cause I liked the Co-op a lot too. The drive-thru funeral house was another favorite. Scary but intriguing.
    I wonder if there were two "midget houses" and/or somewhere the legend got mixed up. That explains why I never understood why it was called the midget house, because it really wasn't that much smaller than a normal house.
    The world's a playground.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    175
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Not from hattiesburg but do ya'll remember:: Engineer bob show and the golden flake clown
    I didn't get to see the Engineer Bob show, but the man who played him (Dr. Cade) headed up a math/science camp for girls at USM when I was in 7th grade. I think he was an engineer (of the math/science sort, though) in real life. He was such a great guy! He passed away a few years ago, but everyone always tells me the show was great.

    There was one episode in particular that I always hear about. Apparently, during the middle of the show, 2 kids in the audience started laughing. Engineer Bob goes up to the kids and asks them what they're laughing about, when one of the kids points to his friend and says (on TV) "Leroy farted!"

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Petal
    Posts
    1,827
    Hub Bucks
    1,966
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleInNOLA View Post
    There was one episode in particular that I always hear about. Apparently, during the middle of the show, 2 kids in the audience started laughing. Engineer Bob goes up to the kids and asks them what they're laughing about, when one of the kids says (on TV) "Leroy farted!"
    I have heard my daddy tell that story a million times.
    The world's a playground.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Petal
    Posts
    1,827
    Hub Bucks
    1,966
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Oh the memories of burgertown and how I lived off them cheap .99 burgers when I moved out on my own.
    I cut out an ad from a newspaper the other day that was for a .99 Burgertown burger, showed a picture of the burger and everything, just like I remember it. It's in my desk at work. I'll try to remember to bring it home tomorrow and scan it this weekend.
    The world's a playground.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    5,519
    Hub Bucks
    5,678
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    Cash McCool's


    I've heard more stories about this place from old timers; shame we never got to experience it.
    I hate all this terrorist business. I used to love the days when you could look at an unattended bag on a train or bus and think to yourself, "I'm going to take that."

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Oak Grove
    Posts
    110
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Quote Originally Posted by PalominofillyinMS View Post
    There used to be a funeral home that was a "drive though". No joke. Their slogan was "Come as you are & view your loved ones from the car!" Johnny Carson talked about it on the Tonight Show several years ago. Hercules used to blow the whistle at midnight on New Years. Chain Electric used to have the most awesome Christmas display of animated figures in their window. My best friend & I used to walk or ride our bikes down to the Seale Lilly ice cream shoppe & get hot fudge sundaes, then to the Ben Franklin 10 cent store to check out their candy. At Halloween Ben Franklin had wax lips & wax whistles. We would go over to Mr. Barber's Spur Station on Hardy Street & get a Coke out of the machine & it was always ice cold. Good memories... All of those places are gone now...
    I can remember most of all that stuff too, my grandparents lived a few blocks from HHS and the old YMCA, and we used to ride our bikes down to Gordons Creek to play in it. We would walk to the old Camp school each day, and my grandmother would get her hair done each week at the beauty salon next to Seale Lily then would take us next door for ice cream. Those wax lips with the juice inside were the best at Halloween too.

    My grandfather would take us to eat at Pizza Hut across from the old McGregors Furniture, Gus's Cafe, Coney Island or down at the old Hamburger place in the parking lot across from Temple Baptist (now a part of the Church) and then onto Kampar Park.

    When they filmed the Satchel Page story, me and one of my childhood buddies rode our bikes down to Dizzy Dean Park during the filming and actually got to stand right next to George C Scott and got his autograph.

    We used to have alot of fun in those days, and eating at Gold Post was a fond memory. I remember my parents liked going to the old Jimmy Faughns restaurant, anyone remember eating at that place. Man that was a while back.
    My Hattiesburg Political Lobbyist

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    453
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    hattiesburg once had a teen center. a place where teens could just hang out, listen to live music, and dance. many a local garage band got the opportunity to play for a crowd there.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Petal, MS
    Posts
    3,101
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Do Y'all remember the "Burger House" that was next to Kamper Park? I remember the aligator abode & how there were these HUGE loggerheads in there with the gators. I can remember when my best friend & I would catch tadpoles & minnows out of Gordon's Creek. Back then it wasn't a polluted mess like it is now. Roseland Park Cemetery had cattle gaps at the entrance. They still have the duck pond & Daddy used to take us to feed the ducks when we were small. My Hubby & fed them last Sunday. There was only a goose & 2 male mallard ducks.
    Last edited by PalominofillyinMS; 06-11-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo
    We keep you alive to serve this ship! Row well and live! Charlton Heston in Ben-Hur

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    25,456
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Confused
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    maybe Wild Bill

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Petal, MS
    Posts
    3,101
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Quote Originally Posted by moonwinx View Post
    hattiesburg once had a teen center. a place where teens could just hang out, listen to live music, and dance. many a local garage band got the opportunity to play for a crowd there.
    I remember my brother going to the Teen Center.
    We keep you alive to serve this ship! Row well and live! Charlton Heston in Ben-Hur

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Petal, MS
    Posts
    3,101
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I can remember most of all that stuff too, my grandparents lived a few blocks from HHS and the old YMCA, and we used to ride our bikes down to Gordons Creek to play in it. We would walk to the old Camp school each day, and my grandmother would get her hair done each week at the beauty salon next to Seale Lily then would take us next door for ice cream. Those wax lips with the juice inside were the best at Halloween too.

    My grandfather would take us to eat at Pizza Hut across from the old McGregors Furniture, Gus's Cafe, Coney Island or down at the old Hamburger place in the parking lot across from Temple Baptist (now a part of the Church) and then onto Kampar Park.

    When they filmed the Satchel Page story, me and one of my childhood buddies rode our bikes down to Dizzy Dean Park during the filming and actually got to stand right next to George C Scott and got his autograph.

    We used to have alot of fun in those days, and eating at Gold Post was a fond memory. I remember my parents liked going to the old Jimmy Faughns restaurant, anyone remember eating at that place. Man that was a while back.
    A friend & I sat out in the middle of Hutchinson Avenue & watched "Don't Look Back" being filmed. George C. Scott was pacing & cussing a blue streak & I will never forget how he bellowed "I am never coming back to Hattiesburg! Their mosquitoes are as big as airplanes & it is hot as Hell!" He was so close to us that we could have reached out & touched him. That hamburger place was "The Burger House". It is a part of Temple Baptist Church now.
    We keep you alive to serve this ship! Row well and live! Charlton Heston in Ben-Hur

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    453
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    it was great. the bands didn't hafta be good, they only had to show up. we cheered every song as if hendrix himself was on stage.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Petal, MS
    Posts
    3,101
    Hub Bucks
    100
    Savings
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Hattiesburg icons

    Batman, I do remember eating at Jimmy Faughn's.
    We keep you alive to serve this ship! Row well and live! Charlton Heston in Ben-Hur

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •