Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Devilish
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Too Many PhD's?

I saw the same thing in retail. Worked at a store for about 10 years. Had a new kid straight from college hired to be my assistant manager. Told me to change a display one day. I asked, "Why? This is our top selling item." He said that marketing theory dictates that Item X should be on the display. I informed him that the boss man (general manager) wants the display as it currently is. He made me change it. A few hours later, as I was leaving for the day, the new assistant manager was changing the display back.

I see the same thing in schools as well. Why would you want someone who worked for 2 or 3 years as a teacher (and worked on an admin degree the entire time) to run a school instead of a teacher who has been in the trenches for 15 or 20 years, and has seen first-hand the results of so many of the "new" programs that don't work as intended?
    Good things happen in life when you show up!

2. Thanks Maggie-Doodle thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

As the saying goes "B.S. - Bull____; M.S. - More ____; Ph.D.- Piled Higher and Deeper"

Seriously, worked with many Ph.D.'s for 30+ years. Some were my boss, others were colleagues. Yes, some are VERY impressed with themselves some don't know when to come out of the rain; some had book sense only and ABSOLUTELY NO common sense; others are just good down to earth people who have worked hard to make their lives better for themselves, their family, and the students who they have taught. You could not give me five cents for some and I wouldn't take a million dollars for others - not because of the terminal degree, but because of who they are, their knowledge base, their value systems, professional ethics, etc.

Not ALL Ph.D.'s are created equal.

4. Thanks Maggie-Doodle thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Devilish
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

There is something to be said for aprenticeships, journey level, and master level in the trades. A piece of paper that says you went to school only means that you went to school and hopefully learned theory, but still don't have a clue about practical applications.

Something else to consider is that with upper level degrees, your focus becomes much more narrow and specialized the higher you go. PHD means that your supposed to be an expert in a very narrow part of a very specific field. In tradecraft, the master level is an expert in all facets of that particular trade.
    Tradecraft masters are very highly skilled whereas most PHDs, not so much. Its not about the money, because as a rule, most tradecraft masters can make as much or more money than their PHD counterparts. Tradecraft masters continuously go to school to keep up with the latest technologies, laws, and regulations, to keep their licenses current.
    PHDs are fine to a point, and they have their place in the grand scheme of things, however, there will *ALWAYS* be a need for those who build, manufacture, install, repair, and maintain everything else.
    I wonder what normal people think about all day.....

6. Thanks Maggie-Doodle, Atticus thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Confused
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by DawgDaze View Post
    Dont guess there is a problem with getting a boatload of PHDs if that is your thing. Some people have an intense need to learn more stuff. Of course they cant expect to immediately work outside the academic arena in a big leadership job for top pay without actual real world application and the experience thereof. Theory is great but the real world is not a controlled lab.

Amazing to see people gain Master's degrees in education administration and all of sudden they know how to run a school. And people who work for a school system for 20 years and have learned thru real world experience may have all the credentials to move to a leadership position but.....wait...they must have a masters degree. Are you kidding? How have we moved to possessing a certain degree or extended classroom merits by certification of a college as the only way to measure intelligence? What happened to apprenticeships? Learning as you go?
    Of course, if you have to have a degree for everything, then it keeps more people in colleges employed to teach these courses.

Some of the smartest people I have had the opportunity to work with in 25 years of manufacturing experience did not have a degree. They started at the bottom and over time worked to the top. I would hire them in a second over some of the degreed knuckleheads I have also been lucky enough to work with.
    There are some teachers who have been employed teaching for 20 years who should have been fired 19 years ago.

8. Thanks Maggie-Doodle thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Received mine at 30 on a scholarship; added to my pay at various jobs outside the field, and it gives you a AAAA if you teach 8'). So it was worth it, because I was young, although at times it's a handicap, too (over-qualified, "will go somewhere else," blah blah blah).

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Great thread! As for public school systems - herein lies the problem. Look at your local school administration. Keep in mind that the core subjects that are tested in Elementary Education - the MCT 2 - are Math, Language, and now Science. How many of the District personnel actually taught one of those subjects? Hmmm...

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo Tuna View Post
    does that mean they're going to school on the backs of the tuition paid by undergraduates? especially in schools and programs that don't have endowments?
    The tuition of the undergraduates and the state funds DO pay for graduate students.... because at universities that have graduate programs, there are many classes taught by graduate students and, obviously, the graduate students need to get paid for being instructors

Endowments have hardly anything to do with it

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Wait! those of us with Phd's are being paid for by undergraduates with cumbersome loans?

Excellent

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I'll say two things here:

1) I do not wish to detract from the hard work, intellectual accomplishments or goals of people who have earned their Phd(s); I've not been there or done that and I'm sure that different people have different motivations. I was once told that "Phd" too often stands for "piled higher and deeper."

2) I am a tradesman; a Craftsman even; there is both art and science applied in putting ink on paper and faithfully reproducing color images to exacting specifications. You can only gain so much knowledge from a book or a class room; the skill evolves from doing it over and over again and learning how to do it a little better each time that it is done. I was once lectured by a Phd with no experience in my trade\craft that my methods were flawed; this person said that they had attended a seminar on this or that subject; had taken a class on another subject and once toured a printing plant.

I replied that I had never had an opportunity to attend a lot of seminars or courses; or even read many books about it; that I had learned everything I knew by actually doing it. That was not well recieved; the eyes seldom lie and this person knew that they had been trumped and scolded for "passive knowledge" as opposed to active, hands on learning.

Go read a book about driving a car and see how well prepared you are to get behind the wheel and step on the gas.

We used to actually build stuff in this country.

Some people were gifted in imagining and engineering some new device in their minds; others were gifted in bringing it to life with their hands.

Now everyone just aspires to imagine it; even if they aren't good at that; let the Mexicans or the Chinese do the grunt work and make it real.

That's not serving us well; some are better at thinking of it; others are better at making it real; and all serve a vital purpose to the population and the economy.

Bring manufacturing back home.

We might have lost WWII without it; can I get a Sieg Heil!?
    64,999,987 firearm owners killed no one yesterday. Somehow, it didn't make the news.

14. Thanks analogman, Echo Four Bravo, Maggie-Doodle thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

You can get a PhD at a couple of places in Mississippi with a pulse and a federal grant. I know people with PhD's who can't write a coherent sentence. I can show you a copy of a letter of recommendation that my first principal wrote for me that was so incoherent and filled with errors that I just asked the secretary for a copy of the letterhead, wrote it myself, and had him sign it. Dat ain't no lie.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Mac is spot on. I deal with narrative reports written by Master and Doctoral level folks on a frequent basis. The majority of them are well written. There are also some mixed in there that wouldn't get you a decent grade in middle school. I mean really, really horrible writing. As a society, we have become convinced that "educating" a person makes them intelligent. Quite often it just waste their time and our money.
    "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and generally more useful to have around." - Mark Rippetoe

17. Thanks Maggie-Doodle thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

They should assign one dumb person to each PHD, his job would be to bring him in out of the rain, at the least. At best keep him from staring up at the rain and drowning like a baby turkey.
    "The winner will be the guy that has one more bullet than the other guy", Gunnery Sergeant J.D. Bolin

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

There are corrupt cops. There are stupid teachers. There are judges who do not know the law. There are editors who can't speile. There are cooks who can't tell the difference between salt and sugar. There are politicians who [insert favorite gubment joke here]. There are preachers who sin. Fat girls who wear string bikinis. Pale people who sunbathe. Yada yada yada.

Why anybody wants to single out PhDs (or resurrect a two-year-old thread) for ineptitude is beyond me.
    This signature has been confiscated by the U.S. government and redistributed to other users who couldn't afford signatures.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Very interesting. Good things to know.