Hot

Re: Election results by pecinct

City Council Results

Ward 1* * * * * * *KIm Bradley* * * * *Lajuanna Richardson* * *

USM* * * * * * * * * * * 224* * * * * * * * * * * * 13
    Highland* * * * * * * * *323* * * * * * * * * * * *317
    N Heights* * * * * * * * *28* * * * * * * * * * * * 44

Totals* * * * * * * * * * *575* * * * * * * * * * * 374

Ward 4* * * * * * * * Red Bailey* * * * * * * * *Jerome Brown* * * * * * * * *A Ellard

Blair* * * * * * * * * * * * *242* * * * * * * * * * * * * 402* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 162
    Woodley* * * * * * * * * 475* * * * * * * * * * * * * 166* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 303
    Camp* * * * * * * * * * * 392* * * * * * * * * * * * * *200* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 196

Totals* * * * * * * * * * * 1109* * * * * * * * * * * *768* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *661

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Precinct % Dupree Rowell O'Hara

Highland 31 343 304 6

Betsy lost her own precinct!

Go try and find a REAL job now Betsy!

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have results from the previous election, just to compare?

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy

It may be true that Dupree won because of the African-American vote, but fortunately, they don't release those statistics to the public. Why? It would cause a further divide than is already there. I don't think we need to discuss it either personally.

What we should be discussing is how we can unite Hattiesburg so that we all get what we want. I'm sure that all of Hattiesburg, regardless of color, wants less crime, better streets, more jobs, and less taxes. I'm sure the majority wants drug dealers, theives, and killers off the streets. Let's talk about how to make that happen.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy

I think it's all about representation, and that's what started elections in this country. Over 7,000 people felt that Dupree represented their best interests. 48% of registered voters thought that also, or at least they thought the mayor doesn't affect them enough to get out and vote. Los Angeles just got thier first Latino mayor. Minorities want representation in office. And these minority leaders are convincing everyone (not just their own race) that they will represent everyone.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard that Poboy financed the whole Dupree campaign, don't
    know how accurate that is, though, just heard it through the grapevine.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaron, with all due respect, it* "is" true, that Mayor Dupree won because of the African-American vote.*And my hat is off to them for the hard work they put in.* That is just the plain honest unbiased truth.* This mayoral election was not about race but the votes fell along racial lines.* I'm sorry, and as much as I wish personaly it was not true, the numbers don't lie.(thames: rowell, 1662....dupree, 502...) (rowan: dupree, 1701....rowell,34..)** * The hard unanswerable question is, what are the motives behind these votes.* Did people vote for Mayor Dupree becasue he is black, or did people* vote for Mrs. Rowell because she is white.* I don't believe it is in anyway inappropriate to ask that question.* As a matter of fact that is the question that conserns me the most.* Because it has an answer that is buried deep in the soul of the indivdual voter, and can easily be concealed.* And the result of this way of voting has to inevitalbly lead to bad government because we are no longer voting for the best person for the job we are voting for the color of the person for the job.* And i am in no way saying that Mayor dupree is not a qualified man for the job.* I believe he is.* All i am saying* is why is it not good to try and find out the truth.* Maybe by discussing it or by someone being honest enough to admit it. (white or* black. because i know there is both)* we can start a dialog that will* help close that divide.* Ignoring any possible reason for the divide will only make it worse.* I already feel that in the politically correct world we live in, we have to tiptoe around the most important topics of our day.* And aaron this* is your site that you created, if you think "personally" that we don't need to discuss it, that might intimidate* or* discourage someone from participating in free discourse.* If you wrote an edditorial I would be an avid reader of it. But when you are just posting you carry more weight then you might think.* Its like the host at a party, you can say what you want, but you are in his house.
    I understand* where you are coming from with what you said, but i just think people have been putting off this conversation too long.* We all talk about it with our friends, but it is taboo in a public discourse and i just think that is hyppcritical and does not shed light on the problem.* And causes the gap to get wider between* us.*
    When the discourse becomes mean-spirited and hateful, and full of half truths, that is deplorable, and cheapens the discussion.* But if we are trying to express ourselves so we can find out more about what is going on and shine a light on the truth then we should.* But if the truth hurts, and it causes our city to be more divided, it still must somehow be brought to our attention.* Avoiding the truth will just cause the divide to get deeper, and our city to suffer more.

*(the text of the two candidates was about roads, taxes, better government, vision, police protection,safety, downtown development, etc.* One candidate just happen to be a white woman the other a black man.* And in my opinon both Johnny and Betsy are good, honest, hard working Christian people who care about their city.* It was third parties that stirred up trouble, the candidate's themselves were very professional.* And when it was over Betsy (showing the character of a good loser) called Johnny, congratulated him, and told him she looked forward to workin with him, and Johnny (showing the character of a good winner) thanked her, congratulated her civic mindedness, and accepted her offer to work together.* Like the two professionals they are.* Now its up to us to show the character of good citizens and* help them*both.)

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Aaron, we need to stop focusing on race. Johnny didn't focus on it. That was all Betsy focused on. We all see what 60 percent of Hattiesburg wanted. Neither candidate would have won without black and white support in a town with the voting electorate we have. Johnny DuPree got nearly 30 percent of the white vote in this election. That is outstanding and speaks to his good character and reputation--and that is something that that elusive "third party" could not take away!

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HubCityGirl
    Johnny DuPree got nearly 30 percent of the white vote in this election.
    Where'd you get that number?

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HubCityGirl
    I agree with Aaron, we need to stop focusing on race. Johnny didn't focus on it. That was all Betsy focused on.
    How can you say that Betsy focused on the race issue? *She never once stated that she was running for whites or blacks. *Dupree never said it either, so are we to assume that he was campaigning for blacks? *To do so would be ignorant. *Dupree getting 30 percent of the white vote is not very good in my opinion. *That means out of the 100 percent of whites that voted he only got 30. Please tell me where you get the idea that Betsy was focusing on race. *If you can show me where she actually stated this then I will stand corrected.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Election results by precinct

Look at the numbers by precinct. Look at the voting age population of Hattiesburg. It isn't hard to figure out. He got 20 percent or so four years ago.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Well barrister, the fact is, it doesn't really matter if you agree with me or not. Johnny was re-elected. And plenty of white folks didn't vote for her. Sorry.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

hubcitygirl I think it is totally unfair, completly inaccurate for you to post that "race was all that betsy focused on". I ask you to point to one time betsy said or did anything that focused on race. Just one. You are quick to judge but slow to produce any proof. Is this just another example of making something up when you feel like it.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

hubcitygirl I think it is totally unfair, completly inaccurate for you to post that "race was all that betsy focused on".* I ask you to point to one time betsy said or did anything that focused on race.* Just one.

Glad someone besides me noticed that comment.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused

The election is over, Mayor Dupree won because more people voted for him that they did soon to be former Councilwoman Rowell. Plain and simple. Instead of bickering about why he won, why don't we focus on uniting the City instead of trying to drive that racial wedge (or any other wedge). Lobby the council (the ones with the true power) to work as one instead of being divided as they have been the last 4 years. I personally would have loved to see all but Mr Naylor replaced, Betsy being out was automatic, no one who has really watched elections in Hattiesburg for very long really thought she had a chance at Mayor. Mr. Caroll and Bailey are the type men that will walk by a group of city employees and not even speak, infact turn their noses up at us. Without Betsy to follow around like a little puppy dog ole Carter will be lost. About all I can say of MS Denard is she is a big Zero!....

It's the Council we need to focus on the next four years, it takes a vote by them to get things done.........

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there were aot of white voters that crossed over racial lines and voted for Johnny, but the Black vote went almost exclusivly for Johnny. Racism?

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Construction projects must be advertised for and bids must be submitted on all projects over $5,000 in the county. I'm not sure about city government but I would imagine it whould fall along those same guidelines.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy

Quote Originally Posted by spoon
    Construction projects must be advertised for and bids must be submitted on all projects over $5,000 in the county.* I'm not sure about city government but I would imagine it whould fall along those same guidelines.*
    You are somewhat correct, anything under $5,000 can be purchased by local governments (city or county) with simply a written quote. Anything over $5,000 but less than $15,000 can be purchased with at least two written, competitive quotes. Over $15,000 must be advertised and published in the legal section of the local paper and formally bid. The exception to all of this is professional services such as engineering, architectural, etc. that is a qualification based process where the firms are selected based on their qualifications then a price for the work is negotiated.