Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic

Re: 2013 Mayoral race candidates

But won't Nathan Jordan and Johnny Dupree split the black vote, therefore helping Dave Ware's chances?

"Live well, laugh often, love much"

2. Thanks Maggie-Doodle, OTM has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    But won't Nathan Jordan and Johnny Dupree split the black vote, therefore helping Dave Ware's chances?

It depends on how many votes Jordan siphons off that would have otherwise gone to DuPree. Remember, O'Hara and Clyde Stewart, also running as independents, arguably will pull a handful of votes that would have otherwise gone to Ware.

What I really don't quite understand is Tom Garmon, running against DuPree in the Democratic primary, even if he is a true blue Democrat. As a disclaimer, he went to Ole Miss around the same time I did, and I have applauded some of his work, including uncovering the Municipal Court scandal, which in my opinion, is ultimately the Mayor's responsibility, under the same Harry Truman logic that says "the buck stops here".

In this year's Democratic primary, I would predict 80-85 percent of it's voters, if not more, will be African American. Against DuPree under those circumstances, Garmon has no chance. Frankly, I do not believe any white candidate in the city of Hattiesburg could defeat DuPree in a Democratic primary. Of course, playing devil's advocate, winning may not be his objective. It may be simply to "bloody" DuPree will a bitter primary, that will leave him weaker going into the general election.

All of this being said, with the aforementioned municipal court fiasco, the crime problem, and some of the questionable people in the Mayor's inner circle, based upon his record, DuPree needs to be defeated. But remembering the 2005 election, and that some of these issues existed then, I'm certainly not holding my breath.
    "Before I was humbled, I went astray, but now I keep your word." (Psalms 119:67)

4. Thanks MSQueen, Maggie-Doodle has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy

Self is running, and he needs your help... psyche. He doesn't need any help.
    Last edited by hendrixfreak70; 03-11-2013 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Spelled something wrong, as usual.
    Ask me about Haywood.

6. Thanks wilebill has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Hattiesburg, like Jackson has seen it's last non African American mayor. Demographics will keep it that way.
    "The winner will be the guy that has one more bullet than the other guy", Gunnery Sergeant J.D. Bolin

8. Thanks Just A Nobody has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired

MMA, maybe not. I have had alot of level headed black friends tell me "in no way, shape, fashion or form are they voting for Dupree again." They said with all the problems that have occured there is "NO WAY!" I suppose we will see...however, we ALL know that Dupree did not win with just the blacks voting for him...there were plenty of white folks that voted for him because at the time he had proved himself the best candidate considering his stent as a supervisor... I just suggest everyone who can vote register and GO TO THE POLLS. Sitting back bitching about it ain't gonna change it...you HAVE to vote. When I was down in the Bay I saw several elections that were decided by the flip of a coin....when one little vote could have made the difference.
    American by birth, SOUTHERN by the grace of God!

10. Thanks ShockandAwe, MSQueen, TDaleBeavers, Comments 2 has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Maggie, just going by what I see. They say that about Bennie Thompson and George Flaggs, and the ever idiotic Kenny Stokes every year. Yet they are elected by landslides. Good luck to yall, you need somebody else.
    Last edited by MMA; 03-11-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    "The winner will be the guy that has one more bullet than the other guy", Gunnery Sergeant J.D. Bolin

12. Thanks Maggie-Doodle has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Dead

If I lived in town I would vote for the guy who could fix the smell of crap. Another month and the smell is going to be horrible and I will be bitching about it, so you all have been warned.

14. Thanks analogman has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just A Nobody View Post
    If I lived in town I would vote for the guy who could fix the smell of crap. Another month and the smell is going to be horrible and I will be bitching about it, so you all have been warned.
    Johnny said he was on it and just needed more time and funding.
    The art of Jiu-Jitsu is worth more in every way than all of our athletics combined. President Theodore Roosevelt - 1905
    www.teamhopkinsgjj.com

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Dead

Quote Originally Posted by OTM View Post
    Johnny said he was on it and just needed more time and funding.
    He is a liar. It's been 6 years, so he has had plenty of time.

I also heard a rumor about the motors they found scraped and if the rumor is true he should have plenty of money.

17. Thanks MSQueen has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there not term limits for Mayors, lol? One could only wish.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired

EH, NO term limits for the City of Hburg. We are stuck as long as there are enuf stupid folks that either vote for the incumbent or fail to vote at all!

20. Thanks MSQueen has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired

For all those wanting to meet the candidates that are running for Mayor/City Councilpersons the Hattiesburg Council of Neighborhoods will be sponsoring a "Meet and Greet" forum on Thursday, April 11, 6 p.m. a the Jackie Dole Sherrill Community Center, please come, listen, ask questions and make an informed decision!

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TDaleBeavers View Post
    It depends on how many votes Jordan siphons off that would have otherwise gone to DuPree. Remember, O'Hara and Clyde Stewart, also running as independents, arguably will pull a handful of votes that would have otherwise gone to Ware.

What I really don't quite understand is Tom Garmon, running against DuPree in the Democratic primary, even if he is a true blue Democrat. As a disclaimer, he went to Ole Miss around the same time I did, and I have applauded some of his work, including uncovering the Municipal Court scandal, which in my opinion, is ultimately the Mayor's responsibility, under the same Harry Truman logic that says "the buck stops here".

In this year's Democratic primary, I would predict 80-85 percent of it's voters, if not more, will be African American. Against DuPree under those circumstances, Garmon has no chance. Frankly, I do not believe any white candidate in the city of Hattiesburg could defeat DuPree in a Democratic primary. Of course, playing devil's advocate, winning may not be his objective. It may be simply to "bloody" DuPree will a bitter primary, that will leave him weaker going into the general election.

All of this being said, with the aforementioned municipal court fiasco, the crime problem, and some of the questionable people in the Mayor's inner circle, based upon his record, DuPree needs to be defeated. But remembering the 2005 election, and that some of these issues existed then, I'm certainly not holding my breath.
    I know for a fact you are giving Tom, and possibly, Ole Miss, way too much credit.

Tom Garmon did not discover anything about the municiple court, he spewed info already discovered.

Tom is running as a democrat to give Dave Ware a better chance, supposedly to run off Johnny Dupree. He has made Dupree his main political target, because he is obesseive like that (i.e. he is crazy, and sorta smart, but I cannot give him too much credit in all that, because of some of the outright DUMB things he has done.) I don't know if the democrat chair has anything to do with this, bucause I don't think I have heard Tom mention being one.

Tom Garmon is one strange dude. I think he is even stranger than I am, and that is hard to do.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool

The motor thing is all rumors

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by gregprine View Post
    I know for a fact you are giving Tom, and possibly, Ole Miss, way too much credit.

Tom Garmon did not discover anything about the municiple court, he spewed info already discovered.

Tom is running as a democrat to give Dave Ware a better chance, supposedly to run off Johnny Dupree. He has made Dupree his main political target, because he is obesseive like that (i.e. he is crazy, and sorta smart, but I cannot give him too much credit in all that, because of some of the outright DUMB things he has done.) I don't know if the democrat chair has anything to do with this, because I don't think I have heard Tom mention being one.

Tom Garmon is one strange dude. I think he is even stranger than I am, and that is hard to do.
    I only mentioned Ole Miss because we have the mutual connection of having attended there the same time. As for the municipal court fiasco, he certainly uncovered the investigation. The mainstream media did not touch it until he had reported it in the Patriot. WHLT was then well ahead of WDAM or the Hattiesburg American in reporting it as I recall.

Like I said, I'm not really sure how Tom running as a Democrat in the primary against DuPree helps Ware, other than perhaps his attacks on DuPree sticking enough to hurt him in the general election. As mentioned, Jordan potentially will hurt DuPree far more, IMO, by siphoning off black votes from him.
    "Before I was humbled, I went astray, but now I keep your word." (Psalms 119:67)

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Dead

The motor thing is all rumors
    Which part is rumors? That they got stolen or were never stolen and made to look that way?

26. Thanks MSQueen, Maggie-Doodle has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Just A Nobody View Post
    Which part is rumors? That they got stolen or were never stolen and made to look that way?
    The way it was made to look as if something sinister had happened.

The city council was VERY intrested at first, and now this is a non-starter

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TDaleBeavers View Post
    I only mentioned Ole Miss because we have the mutual connection of having attended there the same time. As for the municipal court fiasco, he certainly uncovered the investigation. The mainstream media did not touch it until he had reported it in the Patriot. WHLT was then well ahead of WDAM or the Hattiesburg American in reporting it as I recall.

Like I said, I'm not really sure how Tom running as a Democrat in the primary against DuPree helps Ware, other than perhaps his attacks on DuPree sticking enough to hurt him in the general election. As mentioned, Jordan potentially will hurt DuPree far more, IMO, by siphoning off black votes from him.
    Well, I was attending city council meeting regularly when this all happened, and I don't remember it this way at all.

29. Thanks mac has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool

Well, I was attending city council meeting regularly when this all happened, and I don't remember it this way at all.
    Funny how these things work. You don't have to actually DO anything. You just have to say you did it often enough that people start to remember it that way.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Brooding

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Funny how these things work. You don't have to actually DO anything. You just have to say you did it often enough that people start to remember it that way.
    That was one of the biggest problems I faced when I was head of the FBI.
    Professional driver, closed course, do not attempt.

32. Thanks drake, mac has thanked this post.