Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool

Moss Point middle schooler dies after school yard fight

http://www.wlox.com/story/24915065/m...ampaign=buffer

"Our hearts are broken..." Magnolia Middle School Principal JoAnn Pettaway spoke for a community when she said those words Friday.
    Moss Point is in mourning for 12-year-old Lorel Malone. The 7th grader died after a fight at school Thursday.
    http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi...student_d.html
    "During class change at Magnolia Middle School this afternoon, there was an altercation between two students and one student sustained injuries. The parents of both students were notified. The injured student was taken to the hospital."

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Re: Moss Point middle schooler dies after school yard fight

I do feel really sorry for the boys parents but I have two boys myself, so I don't understand some of the comments about why kids fight etc, etc, etc..........
    Boys work their aggression out by fighting till they are a little older then there are some that grow out of the fighting and replace it with the other f word. Some never grow out of it and eventually get set in their place or killed.

Now that my boys stay at home alone in the afternoons we constantly have discussions about no fighting....... I know they still do though because number one they are boys and number two that baby of mine left brother with a huge black eye.

It's really sad. I haven't heard if any weapons were used.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

I never started a fight, but I was in plenty.
    It is a lie to say that you can always stay out of a fight.
    When the other guy intends on attacking, there is not much choice.
    Got to defend yourself.
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

4. Thanks kuntryboy has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool

This stuff happens all the time in middle schools, and usually between classes when they're moving around. It's amazing what kind of petty crap can fuel the fire. You can almost feel when a fight is going to happen because they always get rowdy when the weather warms up and right before long breaks. Spring Break is next week. It's a shame the child died. I wonder about the circumstances of the fight. Did he get hit in the head, fall and hit something, or what??

My cousin and her husband were at a ski resort in Colorado a few weeks ago when the guy got into an argument with some other guys who'd been drinking, and they attacked him. He fell and hit his eye on the corner of a table, and it busted his eyeball wide open in the back. Now this 22 or 23 year old newlywed is probably going to be blind in one eye, and may even lose the whole thing thanks to some drunk jackass who couldn't control his temper. It's best not to swing unless you have to. I can understand it more with 12 year olds than 20-somethings.

6. Thanks katzeyez has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Middle school is BRUTAL. No ifs ands or buts about it. If a child AND the parent survive middles school, they've accomplished something. A friend of mine son came home yesterday in tears, because he found out that a friend of his attempted suicide the night before due to not coping well with being picked on. I imagine they had a short week with it being Mardi Gras, unless they lost their holiday due to the weather days, and most schools in the bottom six counties don't get spring break until the week of Easter.
    "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

That's awful. I wonder as well about the circumstances and how it turned fatal.

Yeah guys will fight.

When I was about 12 or 13 I watched two guys I knew (who were best friends) wail on each other for close to 10 minutes - they both got bloody noses, busted lips and black eyes.

Why the fight?

One was eating an ice cream cone; the other one called him Ice Cream Boy and wouldn't "take it back."

Girls have been known to fight too.

Don't click the link if you have a problem with strong language and some fierce street action - no blood or death; but that's one brutal young "lady."

This is Sharkesia.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Jiu Jitsu is expensive and worth every penny for both adults and children alike.
    The art of Jiu-Jitsu is worth more in every way than all of our athletics combined. President Theodore Roosevelt - 1905
    www.teamhopkinsgjj.com

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OTM View Post
    Jiu Jitsu is expensive and worth every penny for both adults and children alike.
    No argument here.

Conditioning, training and quick, reflexive responses that you don't even think about are an incredible arsenal that just take over your actions if they are needed.

The mental and physical discipline required to learn such a martial art render us better and more balanced people; IMO.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool

I understand that fignts are common at this age...but it is not common for it to end in the death of one of the kids. Something more to this than the media is reporting.
    "If ever we forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

12. Thanks mac, JimmyJam has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool

Yeah I know. If anyone sees an update article or gets details, post it. I want to know.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed

I had a helluva time in JR high before yall changed it to middle school.
    "The winner will be the guy that has one more bullet than the other guy", Gunnery Sergeant J.D. Bolin

15. Thanks Andra has thanked this post.
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused

In my day we fought and we knew where we stood by proximity to the ground. Rare case and not everything is out.