Thread: A question about your faith...

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

A question about your faith...

I overheard two guys talking at work about a recent program I think about the life of Jesus. They both seemed to enjoy it for the most part but when they talked about the way in which it presented the events surrounding the Resurrection; one of the guys said something to the effect that "everybody knows it didn't happen like that at all."

I think I dropped my pen and my jaw as well.

I wanted to say that he really didn't look old enough to have been present at the event but of course I didn't.

I know that I and probably most of you have preferred translations\versions of the Bible (King James for me); but I recognize that there are differences in the way different translations\versions present any given event recounted in the Bible; that many of those events and descriptions were passed along orally for many years before being recorded; there are bound to be differences without even factoring in differences in languages. That doesn't take away from the message; it doesn't even change it, there are just some minor differences in details.

So I've been wondering ever since if it is common for very many Christians to feel that their preferred version can be the only "right" one and that any other is just wrong.

Mind you; I don't think there is anything wrong for people to think or feel that way; I just never have and was a bit stunned by the comment.
    64,999,987 firearm owners killed no one yesterday. Somehow, it didn't make the news.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Re: A question about your faith...

[QUOTE=Atticus;1653652]I overheard two guys talking at work about a recent program I think about the life of Jesus. They both seemed to enjoy it for the most part but when they talked about the way in which it presented the events surrounding the Resurrection; one of the guys said something to the effect that "everybody knows it didn't happen like that at all."

Well, how did he think it happened? King James version for me also.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I didn't actually catch that part. I wasn't really listening in; just overheard bits and pieces until that "everybody knows" comment. He wasn't there today; I'm going to strike up a conversation with him on Monday; I'm curious about his take on that.
    64,999,987 firearm owners killed no one yesterday. Somehow, it didn't make the news.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I'm amazed at people who don't know or understand their own doctrine. For instance, people bounce between Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian churches (for example) not realizing how different they really are from one another. I've even known Roman Catholics who think that the "Immaculate Conception" is the same thing as the Virgin Birth. A lot of people think that when humans die, they become angels, even though the Bible is very clear that angels are a completely different creature. And so on.
    As for me, I'm Eastern Orthodox. Until 1054AD we and the Catholic Church were the same church, although there were already a lot of differences in language and practice by then, between the East (Constantinople) and the West (Rome.) Since then, there have been more changes in doctrine in the Roman Catholic Church than in ours. For example their doctrine of the Immaculate Conception wasn't made official until the 19th century; we have never accepted it. And so on.
    Both they and we believe that our half of the split is the "correct" one and the True Church, and we don't want to get that started. I do resent it however, when Protestants think that Orthodox and Catholics aren't "really" Christians.
    The day is almost upon us, however, when all Christians are going to have to circle the wagons and start sticking up for each other more, even if we disagree on many things.
    "deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed"

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I've never understood the divide between different segments of a single religion. It seems to me that there is more common ground there than there are differences. I'm sure that, unlike for me, the devout who are well educated concerning those differences might find some of them significant. But I have to wonder if God would really care about such things as long as faith and belief in the underlying truth is sound. I attended a funeral a few weeks ago at a church, the denomination of which I had never studied or visited. I was struck by the preponderance of symbology and ceremony - it was if those aspects were of the utmost importance in the practice of the faith; and I left there wondering if God could really care about such trappings of the church and if those trapping could somehow elevate that particular denomination over others when it comes to purity of faith; for want of a better description. Personally, I doubt it; but that's just me.

My friend at work seems to feel that only the version of certain events presented in his version of the Bible can be correct. It stunned me to hear the comment. It also just happens that a few days earlier I had read an article that presented five different descriptions from the Scriptures of events surrounding the Resurrection - one event presented five different ways. It was an interesting article - the author didn't try to call into question the validity or accuracy of any of those descriptions; he just presented the facts. It's well known after all that eyewitness accounts are some of the most unreliable sources of information - studies have shown that a group of people can witness exactly the same events at exactly the same time and offer very different descriptions of what they saw. Why wouldn't that reality apply to events presented in the Bible from different sources?

I guess my take has always been that it doesn't matter if something happened at dawn as opposed to dusk, or on Saturday instead of Wednesday, or if the priest wears robes or shorts and a tee shirt; different versions and different circumstances are bound to apply and I don't have a problem recognizing that; and it doesn't make me feel that it's important that such "t's" be crossed and the "i's" dotted a certain way in a certain color of ink (so to speak) in order for the core facts to remain the same.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I first read the Bible when I was about 10. I became very interested in religion in my early 20s, and read the Bible (many versions) at least once a year. Then began researching and reading other biblical writings. If you can find a good translation I recommend the Nag Hamaadi library. I also began studying other religions. In the end I have decided to keep my beliefs to myself.
    Vive La Revolution!! Donuts for everyone!!!

7. Thanks part-timer thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by 58ford View Post
    I first read the Bible when I was about 10. I became very interested in religion in my early 20s, and read the Bible (many versions) at least once a year. Then began researching and reading other biblical writings. If you can find a good translation I recommend the Nag Hamaadi library. I also began studying other religions. In the end I have decided to keep my beliefs to myself.
    Thanks for that info - I Googled Nag Hamaadi; I have some reading to do. I admire the fact that you studied other religions in order to find what made sense to you. Many of us (myself included) are born and raised in a certain religion or segment thereof and never look beyond it. I still have the King James Bible that I was given when I was 8 or 10 years old. I don't think there's anything wrong with staying with what you're raised with but just like knowing something about other languages and other cultures I think that knowing something about other religions broadens our horizons. That doesn't have to mean that one doubts their own religion; just that they have "peeked over the fence" and seen the grass on the other side.

9. Thanks part-timer thanked for this post