Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starting this thread for posterity

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Starting this thread for posterity

Heh - unfortunately my cynical side sort of disagrees with both of you. 'Sort of' because I agree that Trump doesn't think much more about religion other than the fact that it can be useful. And it's my cynical side because I have some fundamental disagreements with both of you about what freedom of and from religion looks like.

I do think that Trump has surrounded himself with people that take religion very seriously (with the exception of Tillerson) - Bannon, Pence, etc etc. A lot of my less religious conservative and centrist friends that voted for Trump, especially after the Bannon appointment, became concerned that Trump will serve as a sort of Trojan Horse for the religious right. I could see some of his smart, religious, experienced cabinet garnering enough power/influence to breathe some more life into the kind of religious nationalism that the tea party embraced and guiding Trump's policy decisions/appointments in more 'traditionally Christian' directions.

A lot of these terms are fraught with all sorts of baggage. Please don't take offense as it's not meant to be given.
    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

What do you guys think about Bannon? The guy calls himself a Leninist and a Christian Crusader. Which do you think he actually is?

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I really don't know what he is. I do think he is much to controversial to be on Trump's staff, but Trump either knew all about him or a few of his advisors did and told him to pick Bannon.

4. Thanks pirateIRL thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Picking Bannon to be Chief Strategist did seem tone deaf. "We're mired in controversy so let's put up another lightning rod!" If I understood something about the guy I'd be more sympathetic but he's pretty tough to understand. I think that the controversies over most of Trump's picks are manufactured but Bannon has earned it.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I don't much care for Bannon in the same vein that I didn't care for Valerie Jarrett. They're people whose opinions weight too heavily into their respective bosses' heads.
    Henkyfork, the trumpet supporter.

7. Thanks pirateIRL thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

The Chief Strategist's role has become more important over the past few decades because of how we are concentrating power in the executive branch. Unfortunately our politics have become more ideological over that period as well so we've wound up with further right and further left Presidents. Presidents choose their Chief Strategists. So we have wound up with a string of increasingly powerful Chief Strategists that are ideologues.

I'd love to see how an independent that campaigned solely on the platform of transferring power away from the executive to the legislative would poll against Trump and Clinton today now that both sides have a good whip-lashing in recent memory. heh