Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sad
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Broadway Drive..

I saw today where the Midas Auto Service has closed now on Broadway Dr. and the Payless Shoes Store on Bartur Street just off Broadway is closing.
    It's really sad to see that part of Hattiesburg, that was once so busy is losing so much business.. I know people say well that has turned into such
    a bad part of town and know one wants to shop around there anymore. But there are still alot of good families who live. so close to what was a busy busy area
    and now it's just all going moving out west of Hattiesburg. Hopefully the Big Car Dealerships that are still on Broadway Drive, will stay right where they are.
    Everything does not need to move out 98. Do any of you agree????

2. Thanks Wayward_Son thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Broadway Drive..

I think Broadway has potential for the future but not like it once did. Payless is closing over 400 stores nationwide so that is happening all over.

4. Thanks Little-ole-me, Maggie-Doodle thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Courtesy Ford is in the process of building a new facility on Hwy 98 now.
    8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

6. Thanks Little-ole-me thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Add to that the fact that most of the property between Dossett and Hwy 49 is 16th section land. Once the current 99-year leases expire, they will probably only offer 5-10 year leases that are re-assesed every 5 years or so (seems to be a trend). Some counties are even selling off some 16th section land, which can be a win-win as the 16th sec lease concept is largely obsolete.

If the school board would offer some long-term leases with predictable increases you could get more businesses to invest over there. As it stands now, it makes for a very uncertain future. The fact that there is a new development surge going on out west makes it a much more desperate - if not unavoidable - situation.

8. Thanks Little-ole-me thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sad
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
    Courtesy Ford is in the process of building a new facility on Hwy 98 now.
    You know it's kind of crazy after the Ford Dealership place spent so much money a while back to remodel that place
    only to now move some place else. I wonder when they do move if they will use there old place for anything???

And do you thing Ryan's Chevrolet will also be going out west 98 soon too???

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Courtesy was bought by the people that own Pine Belt Ford, so it's not as painful of a move as it would otherwise seem.

I doubt that Ryan will move out there since Pine Belt Chevrolet will be just west of 589.

11. Thanks Little-ole-me thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I hate to see businesses close up shop, just to move to Hwy 98. I think a lot of work has been done to make Broadway Drive/West Pine Street more attractive; but it hasn't really seem to have done anything that would provide an economic bump to the area. Broadway Drive will be ok, it located right between Hwy 49 and downtown Hattiesburg so I don;t see it becoming a ghost town. Honestly, my hope is that Bellevue will incorporate. All of the growth is going out towards Bellevue. If Hattiesburg knew for sure they wouldn't be able to eventually get those businesses through annexation then I think thy would do absolutely everything in their power to at least try and keep what is already within the city limits.

13. Thanks Little-ole-me, Maggie-Doodle thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

the Interstate kinda killed Broadway drive. Remember when you went to Hattiesburg from the South only on Hwy 11? Of course the crime didn't help.
    "The winner will be the guy that has one more bullet than the other guy", Gunnery Sergeant J.D. Bolin

15. Thanks Excitable Boy thanked for this post