Thread: Looking for places to Metal Detect....

Rural Jones County (Petal, Hattiesburg, Ellisville, Laurel)
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Looking for places to Metal Detect....

I've been Metal Detecting for a few years now and the single hardest part of this hobby is getting permission to detect on someone's property. That said I am looking for both suggestions on places to hunt along with permission to hunt. I am willing to travel from Jackson to the Coast and from South East Louisiana to South Alabama, and am just as interested in detecting in the yard of an old home as I am an old church, school, sawmill town, or long gone community, as long as people gathered on the location for whatever reason 50+ years ago. I'm also game for detecting that recently plowed garden spot, commercial field or fresh cut hayfieId... I take out all the trash I dig up, back fill every hole, and am willing to let the owner see every item I recover and if they want to keep an item or two I am cool with that. So if any of you have some property or can get me permission to an of the above mentioned locations, then by all means get in touch with me... The attached picture is of my best recent find and I will be returning it to it's rightful owner after it being buried for 30+ years... This is the 2nd class ring I have recovered this year, the 1st was also in the ground for 30+ years, but returned to it's owner after I recovered it...

I am also a member of a local metal detecting group called South Mississippi Relic Team and one of the things we do is offer our services to find recent pieces of lost jewelry or other metal items that might be important to you. Just contact us as soon as possible and we will get some folks out there as soon as possible to try and locate it. There is no charge for this service, nor is there any guarantee that we will find the item, but we will try... I'm including a link to our Facebook Page in case any of you want to see some of what we recover and who we are...

Thanks Y'all...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/749848558513154/?ref=group_header

DSCF6869.JPG
    Last edited by a_cmc_2b; 08-03-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: fixt
    I agree to possibly disagree...
    Beware, so long as you live, of judging men by their outward appearance. - LaFontaine, Jean De

2. Thanks Scarlett O'Hara, Wayward_Son, cactus, Maggie-Doodle thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Flirty
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Looking for places to Metal Detect....

I have one, also, but have never found anything good, only pieces of tin cans!!!!!!!!!!!! But a big tin can can really get you excited with all the beeping before you dig it up!!!
    "It ain't fittin, it ain't fittin, it jest ain't fittin.................it ain't fittin"

4. Thanks a_cmc_2b thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

You should join us at one of club meetings sometime, they are the 3rd Thursday of every month at 7 pm at the Sigler Center in Hattiesburg. We try to work in at least one group hunt every month... Can Slaw is frequently what we all find along with pull tabs & nails... But if you are ever going to find a ring or an old nickel then you have to dig all those pull tabs.
    Beware, so long as you live, of judging men by their outward appearance. - LaFontaine, Jean De

6. Thanks cactus, Scarlett O'Hara, Maggie-Doodle thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Hope everyone has had a good weekend so far... Anyone got a spot I can detect on this afternoon, or tomorrow, or the next day etc... A couple of us hit the Old Shady Grove School in Laurel yesterday. The best finds were by the early bird, he got an old tax token and a war nickel( the only American Nickels to ever contain Silver), everything else was clad(modern coins) or scrap metal....

8. Thanks Scarlett O'Hara, cactus thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Magnet Fishing - 1st good Find - Creek off of Hwy15 N - Chipaway Knife - Frost Cutlery - 08.05.2.jpg

I pulled this Bowie knife out of a creek yesterday, magnet fishing on the way home from Shady Grove...

10. Thanks Scarlett O'Hara thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

DSCF3538.JPG

This is the 1st Class Ring that I recovered and returned. It had been in the ground for over 30 years...

12. Thanks Scarlett O'Hara, cactus thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

DSCF3083.JPG

This picture is what an average hunt looks like...

14. Thanks Scarlett O'Hara thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Flirty
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Want to see a pic of my big tin can?
    "It ain't fittin, it ain't fittin, it jest ain't fittin.................it ain't fittin"

16. Thanks a_cmc_2b thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett O'Hara View Post
    Want to see a pic of my big tin can?
    Sure, without digging the trash we would find no treasure...

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I had the privilege of returning the class ring this Past Friday Morning to it's rightful owner. Now I can't wait to recover and return my next one...

DSCF6871.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by a_cmc_2b View Post
    I've been Metal Detecting for a few years now and the single hardest part of this hobby is getting permission to detect on someone's property. That said I am looking for both suggestions on places to hunt along with permission to hunt. I am willing to travel from Jackson to the Coast and from South East Louisiana to South Alabama, and am just as interested in detecting in the yard of an old home as I am an old church, school, sawmill town, or long gone community, as long as people gathered on the location for whatever reason 50+ years ago. I'm also game for detecting that recently plowed garden spot, commercial field or fresh cut hayfieId... I take out all the trash I dig up, back fill every hole, and am willing to let the owner see every item I recover and if they want to keep an item or two I am cool with that. So if any of you have some property or can get me permission to an of the above mentioned locations, then by all means get in touch with me... The attached picture is of my best recent find and I will be returning it to it's rightful owner after it being buried for 30+ years... This is the 2nd class ring I have recovered this year, the 1st was also in the ground for 30+ years, but returned to it's owner after I recovered it...

I am also a member of a local metal detecting group called South Mississippi Relic Team and one of the things we do is offer our services to find recent pieces of lost jewelry or other metal items that might be important to you. Just contact us as soon as possible and we will get some folks out there as soon as possible to try and locate it. There is no charge for this service, nor is there any guarantee that we will find the item, but we will try... I'm including a link to our Facebook Page in case any of you want to see some of what we recover and who we are...

Thanks Y'all...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/749848558513154/?ref=group_header

DSCF6869.JPG

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Chef, try the courtyard at Picayune High School sometimes. My son lost his class ring there back in the late 80's and we never found it. I would be willing to make a monatary donation to your club to help with expenses IF you could find his ring!
    American by birth, SOUTHERN by the grace of God!

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

If your son knows about where he lost it at in the courtyard pm me that info and I will pass it on to a couple of members who actually live in that area. Also if he remembers what Karat it was and an approximate size, that can help because it can narrow down what is dug in an effort to find it. And none of us would take any kind of monetary donation for the privilege of returning a class ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie-Doodle View Post
    Chef, try the courtyard at Picayune High School sometimes. My son lost his class ring there back in the late 80's and we never found it. I would be willing to make a monatary donation to your club to help with expenses IF you could find his ring!

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Thanks Chef! I will tell him to contact you. It would be awesome IF he got the ring back. He only had it a couple or three weeks when he lost it! ):
    American by birth, SOUTHERN by the grace of God!

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I wish I'd known about this when one of our dogs ate one of my wife's rings. (and we 'scoop' the yard, -- unfortunately in this case --- so no chance it's still lying around).

23. Thanks a_cmc_2b thanked for this post
    Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I'd have detected over the dog poo, but you would have had to done the digging in that particular case If you live in the Oaks Historic District I would love to detect your property if at all possible.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

I'm still looking for places to detect in the Pinebelt...

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Hey, what device do you use? I'm just lost in the ocean of detectors. What would be the best choice for a price of $500 http://tenrows.com/metal-detectors/

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    My Feedback
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Donat View Post
    Hey, what device do you use? I'm just lost in the ocean of detectors. What would be the best choice for a price of $500 http://tenrows.com/metal-detectors/
    My primary detector is a White's MXT Pro, but I also have some Bounty Hunters, A Garrett, and a Fisher.

We have a local metal detecting group that meets the 3rd Thursday of every month, and you are welcome to join us at a meeting or just join our Facebook group. We frequently do group hunts and members also use the group to find a hunting partner(s) for spontaneous hunts...

Also if you want to get out and detect some before you purchase a detector, many of us have detectors that you can try out. I always keep a couple in my truck, just for this reason.

1st off, you'll either love this hobby or be really disappointed, so by all means be sure that before you spend a single dollar, that you will dig more trash/scrap than anything else....

2nd. I would suggest taking part of that $500 and purchasing a Good Pinpointer which will cost between $100 to $160.

3rd. I always suggest purchasing a used detector to start with, as you will get more bang for your buck.

4th. My preference in Manufacturers is White's, but in all honesty all of the Major Manufacturers build good machines that will find stuff...

5th The new machine I usually suggest if one of the least expensive ones out there. I suggest it because I don't think the more expensive investments are worthwhile until you are sure that you really want to spend some time participating in this hobby. And if after a few months you do decide to up-grade, well then you have a machine that you can use a loaner to help spark others interest in the Hobby, or you can even give it to someone else who has shown interest in the hobby(I like doing this with children). The detector is the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV sold at Hobby Lobby, they currently have that detector on sale for $87.99 and you can print their 40% off coupon and walk out the door with this detector for less than $60... When i decided to get back in this Hobby 3 or so years ago I purchased an Old Garrett GTA 350 for $50 and started with it, it was and is a good machine that I still have. The Garrett was soon followed by a Bounty Hunter QDii and then a White's Coin Master(These are the machines I still carry as loaners because they work and are easy to use.)

6th. If you are going to invest in more than a simple entry level detector, be aware that some of them can be very daunting in their setup which can work against a beginner by taking all of the fun out of detecting before you ever get to dig that 1st hole. This actually happened to me in the late 90's when I 1st wanted to get back into the hobby...

Last but not least, in all honesty you really can't go wrong purchasing a detector made by any of the major manufacturers as they will all find trash and occasionally treasure.

To get an idea of some of what we find in this area check out the Photo and Photo Albums in our Facebook Group.

P.S. As you are looking at detectors go to Youtube and watch Videos of people actually using them and join some Facebook groups and online Forums so you can ask others that are using them what they think. I garontee you that if you post a open question in regards to which detector is best in the groups/forums that the myriad of answers will do nothing more than confuse you, but asking about a particular machine can garner much useful information. I am also including a link to my favorite online forum, if you join it there is a sub-forum in it for Mississippi which has lot's of great folks in it...

http://www.treasurenet.com/

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...tector/p/27250

https://www.facebook.com/groups/749848558513154/