Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Confused
    MH Bucks
    Bank
    Total MH Bucks
    Donate

Where do you eat in Hattiesburg?

With the ever expanding number of resurants in the Hattiesburg area, I was wondering where everyone preferred to go. It might be good to just have a forum for restruant reviews similar to the movie review section, but since non currently exists, this will have to do.

There are lots of places I'd like to try, but I don't want to waste money on...

My favorite resturant of all time is Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. I didn't know a baked potato was supposed to taste that way... I've never tasted it's equal... I know there's no RCS in Hattiesburg, but if I said my favorite restrant was McDonald's, I'd have a different baseline...

When my wife and I go out with the kid, we usually choose O'Charley's, Crescent City or Chesterfield's. I think our choice of resturants is based upon 3 things, in order, 1)Service 2)Food 3)Price. Service is a HUGE deal to us, as we are both into customer service at our jobs. There are places we don't go to because of the service. We do not usually frequent buffets. We may go to one buffet place once a year... maybe.

It's hard to get good service when you are unsuspecting. My wife is a big tipper. The way it works is I sign the CC slip and pass it to her to fill in the tip line. But we don't look like big tippers, so we get alot of "I'm sorry I treated you like crap the whole meal, thanks for the biggest tip I've gotten tonight" thank you's. We usually don't tip alot for crappy service, but it's my wife, and she likes tipping. There's no changing that.

The other day, we were at Crescent City and our waiter was constantly disappearing. He never once smiled. He acted like he didn't want to be there. So, he got what he deserved. I love great service, and we're not complainers. If something's wrong, we log it in our mental log, and remember it next time.

ND, our kid, got the fried macaroni... he called them macaroni chicken nuggets. Let me tell you, those things were GREAT. They should sell those somewhere. I've never heard nor seen them before, but they were fantastic! Our other food was normal...

We refuse to eat at Applebee's after a series of bad to worse visits... the last one ending when we stood at the entrance for 5 minutes waiting for someone to acknowledge us. Red Lobster is about the same, not to mention the food value there is stupid. Mike Anderson's also has mediocre service on our visits, and the food value is also unbalanced.

I'd like to know about the restrants in the downtown area and how the service and food rates. I've heard 206 Front. St. is okay, but the food is mediocre at best, and not a good value. I haven't heard anything about Crechel's (?sp?), but the limo's out front makes me think they're trying too hard... Walnut Circle Grill I've also heard is a bit overpriced, but I've heard nothing of the service. My wife and I used to like to go to Panino's when it first opened, then it became hit or miss, then mostly miss. We haven't been there for years. Copeland's has a propensity for discurtieous service and the food choices aren't really all that great. I haven't been there for a while, either.

My favorite things are the Corn and Crab Bisque at Crescent City and the fried stuffed mushrooms there also, but with Honey Mustard instead of horseradish. I like the fried pecan pie at Chesterfield's. That thing is a work of art...

Guest_ Guest

Re: Where do you eat in Hattiesburg?

Good thread. My wife and I ate at Walnut St last week. The menu and pricing has changed in the past year, and the food is excellent. I opted for the chicken parmigana (14.95), and it was the best I've had. Do yourself a favor and give this place a try. It is now my favorite restaurant in the burg.
    206 Front is good. I think I liked them better when they first opened, but I'm not sure why. The entrees are a little pricey, but anything off the sandwich, soup, and salad menus is a good deal. The chicken caesar salad is my favorite. Good atmosphere, and good bar service make this one a safe bet.
    For something a little less classy, make sure you try Gold Post Sandwich House. I've been here many times before, but have just now really gotten into it in the last week. The cup of gumbo special with a poboy (may I suggest the roast beef w/ gravy) and drink is sure to satisfy your appetite. A Hattiesburg institution.
    If you're downtown around lunchtime, check out Nanny's on Edwards St. You gotta love a place where you can find the vice-president of USM and the line workers from BellSouth at adjoining tables. A classic meat and three, Nanny's features fried chicken, veal cutlet, pork chops, chicken creole, and various other items (depending on the day of the week). Great pricing make this your one stop for lunch.
    I could go on about Coney Island, Gus' #2, and $5 ribeye day at the Sunflower IGA on Hardy St, but I'm sure someone else will fill you in.

SoMissTV

IGID Guest

$5.00 ribeye day? What? Where? Tell us more.

fuzzis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IGID
    $5.00 ribeye day? What? Where? Tell us more.
    Occasionally the IGA/Sunflower on Hardy grills rib-eyes and sells dinners. I have been tempted to stop, but I haven't thus far.

fuzzis

IGID Guest

I've eaten at you establishment Hawk and it is very good and I'm sure steaks are like anything else, you get what you pay for. A $5.00 steak taste's and chews like a $5.00 steak.

fuzzis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    Hmmm.....I wonder if they're adding the extra 1% tax that restaurants have to charge?
    I would suppose it gets handled like the prepared foods in their deli does. I don't know though.

Sho-Ya has good sushi. Not as good as at home, but good. If they could make me a Rocky Mountain roll, I might be in heaven. *sigh*

fuzzis

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    MH Bucks
    Bank
    Total MH Bucks
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by SoMissTV
    Good thread. My wife and I ate at Walnut St last week. The menu and pricing has changed in the past year, and the food is excellent. I opted for the chicken parmigana (14.95), and it was the best I've had. Do yourself a favor and give this place a try. It is now my favorite restaurant in the burg.
    206 Front is good. I think I liked them better when they first opened, but I'm not sure why. The entrees are a little pricey, but anything off the sandwich, soup, and salad menus is a good deal. The chicken caesar salad is my favorite. Good atmosphere, and good bar service make this one a safe bet.
    For something a little less classy, make sure you try Gold Post Sandwich House. I've been here many times before, but have just now really gotten into it in the last week. The cup of gumbo special with a poboy (may I suggest the roast beef w/ gravy) and drink is sure to satisfy your appetite. A Hattiesburg institution.
    If you're downtown around lunchtime, check out Nanny's on Edwards St. You gotta love a place where you can find the vice-president of USM and the line workers from BellSouth at adjoining tables. A classic meat and three, Nanny's features fried chicken, veal cutlet, pork chops, chicken creole, and various other items (depending on the day of the week). Great pricing make this your one stop for lunch.
    I could go on about Coney Island, Gus' #2, and $5 ribeye day at the Sunflower IGA on Hardy St, but I'm sure someone else will fill you in.

SoMissTV
    Well, Well ... SoMissTV, we have the same taste in restaurants. I'm impressed with your list. You know the good spots ... particularly in the downtown area. You saved me a long post. :smt038
    Wayward

One good thing about stupidity - you can be pretty sure it's genuine.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Pensive
    MH Bucks
    Bank
    Total MH Bucks
    Donate

Love this thread! Great idea!

I really like I Pomodori, the new shell station restaurant on Hiway 98 by Wesley Hospital. It is delicious if not pricey. We do take-out there a lot, too and have never been disappointed.

For Downtown, I LOVE 206 Front.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Confused
    MH Bucks
    Bank
    Total MH Bucks
    Donate

Pomodori... gormet italian in a gas station.. The whole idea kind of scares me...

I've tried Nanny's about 10 years ago when I was working summer help at Hattiesburg Clinic... It was good, especially if you're working hard.

The $5 plate at IGA is good. My workers like to get it on payday and bring it back to work. It tastes like a 3/4" ribeye grilled over charchol... yummy to me. Comes with a baked potato and toast. Not a bad deal for $5.

That Hong Kong buffet where the old Ponderosa/Bonanza used to be is good when they have mussels. I LOVE mussels and can eat a TON of them. It's about $7 for the dinner buffet and it's pretty good.

I like sushi, but my wife doesn't, which means that I don't get to eat it much.

As for Mexican food, El Mariachi Loco in Petal is a GREAT restuant. It's owned/ran by a Cuban doctor. I know, a Cuban making Mexican... All I can say is this... I went to Mexico last May, and the Mexican food there that was edible, was not far off from what I get at El Mariachi. They did this neat thing where they poured a beer over the sizzling fajita fixings and that made a TREMENDOUS difference in the taste. I've done it to to my homemade fajitas ever since. I don't like fajitas for the most part, but those were tasty. In Mexico, they use alot of mayonaise on stuff. It's gross to me. I couldn't believe what the street vendors were selling. Ugh... But a pina colada made from fresh coconut milk, I've never had it's equal. And the vanilla ice cream... again, unlike anything I've had before or since... All served by a guy with horendous body odor...

I can't believe Gus's is still in business. Who goes there? Is it a front for an illegal operation?

The Roly Poly sandwich place in the new Hardy Plaza has pretty good wraps. Give them a try sometime. The #17 is good... BBQ Basil Mayo on roast beef with jalapenos and onions... I haven't had anything there yet that I despise. You have to call your order in though... they take at least 10 min to make something that should take 2 at MOST. That's my only complaint from them. Look them up online and call your order in sometime.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    MH Bucks
    Bank
    Total MH Bucks
    Donate

Robert St. John knows his stuff, so in my opinion Crescent City Grill is the best place to eat in Hattiesburg.

Talkizcheap, I also love Pomodori.... it's the best Italian in Hattiesburg, but the owner really needs to invest in a different location.

QueenMother try El Rancho for mexican. Pedro, the owner is a great guy, and he owns both the Hattiesburg and Petal locations. And who knows... if you're eating at the Hattiesburg location, you may just run into Brett Favre and his family. They frequent that location.

As far as downtown restaurants, I have eaten at 206 Front, and it's pretty good, but the portions are small for the price you pay. I have heard the Gordon Creek Deli is temporarily closed? The Oaks Cafe has pretty good sandwiches and salads, and they have daily specials which aren't offered on the daily lunch menu. I've never tried Gus's Cafe.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hot
    MH Bucks
    Bank
    Total MH Bucks
    Donate

Have you forgotten Mexican Kitchen... AHHH the medium plate... I like the other mexican places but the salsa needs more kick to it...

Peking Garden best value, food, service...
    PoBoy Express Bacon Chesseburger PoBoy

Does anybody cook anymore?

fuzzis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noway

Does anybody cook anymore?
    Does using the grill count? Ribeye and grilled potato, with a salad tonight. Will probably make some pasta salad and grilled chicken tomorrow night. Making a buffalo chicken cheesy dip for a super bowl party I'm attending.

fuzzis

Guest_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzis
    Making a buffalo chicken cheesy dip for a super bowl party I'm attending.

fuzzis
    you wanna share the recipe for that dip? It sounds great!

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Confused
    MH Bucks
    Bank
    Total MH Bucks
    Donate

No, people don't cook anymore. Who has time? It's nice, sales are up 20+% every week for the past few years... it's great for me!

fuzzis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SoMissTV
    you wanna share the recipe for that dip? It sounds great!
    Smitten's Buffalo Chicken Dip

5 c cooked chicken (shredded)
    2 (8 oz) cream cheese
    1 (12 oz) bottle Red Hot
    2 c diced celery
    1 c ranch dressing or blue cheese
    1 c Monterey jack cheese (or cheddar) shredded

In skillet, toss shredded chicken with Red Hot. Add cream cheese in pieces. Add celery and ranch until melted. Pour into 9 x 13 pan. Top with cheese. Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes. Serve with chips.

Can also be made in a crock pot, which is what I'll be doing since it's going to be at a party and needs to remain warm. I omit the celery because I think that celery is perhaps one of the grossest vegetables on the planet. Perhaps I'll bring the celery for those who are not of the same opinion.

fuzzis

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    MH Bucks
    Bank
    Total MH Bucks
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica
    Talkizcheap, I also love Pomodori.... it's the best Italian in Hattiesburg, but the owner really needs to invest in a different location.
    It's the food and not the location, Jessica. Actually, the service gives it a special flair ... and I suspect it might hold down the overhead costs a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica
    As far as downtown restaurants, I have eaten at 206 Front, and it's pretty good, but the portions are small for the price you pay. I have heard the Gordon Creek Deli is temporarily closed? The Oaks Cafe has pretty good sandwiches and salads, and they have daily specials which aren't offered on the daily lunch menu. I've never tried Gus's Cafe.
    206 Front is my downtown favorite. I like the atmosphere and I like the portions. Plates piled with food aren't appealing to me. Their lunch specials are one of the best deals in town.

Yes. Unfortunately The Gordon's Creek Deli is temporarily closed. The owners had a problem keeping staff after Katrina. I think they're looking for someone to handle the restaurant on some kind of turnkey basis.
    Wayward

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    MH Bucks
    Bank
    Total MH Bucks
    Donate

Unhappy Re: Where do you eat in Hattiesburg?

206 Front has been mentioned several times. I understand the owners have bought another downtown building. Following renovation, the early plan is a pizza restaurant. Whata ya think?
    Wayward

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy
    MH Bucks
    Bank
    Total MH Bucks
    Donate
    :-) - Just A Nobody 

Quote Originally Posted by Wayward
    206 Front has been mentioned several times. I understand the owners have bought another downtown building. Following renovation, the early plan is a pizza restaurant. Whata ya think?
    That would be cool! I'd go.
    No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    MH Bucks
    Bank
    Total MH Bucks
    Donate

As for the $5 steak....Shenanigans did have one for $5.95 when I moved here..but has since gone up to $7.95. I've partaken numerous times (as the most overdressed person in there to be sure...lol). The steak is almost as good as Conestoga, at about 1/3 the price.
    From beating the National Champions in 2008, to aiming for a National Championship in 2009 ... WE ARE OLE MISS!

Hub Bucks
    Savings
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    MH Bucks
    Bank
    Total MH Bucks
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by wilebill
    That would be cool! I'd go.
    See ya there ... but it'll be a while.
    Wayward